So I play guitar in my school jazz band, but at the moment, I have been using my schecter hellraiser c-1 not the best for Jazz.

My friend offered to sell me his Gretsch G5120 for $300-$400 which he bought from guitar center new about 6 months ago.
He has the orange one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch-Guitars-G5120-Electromatic-Hollow-Body-with-Dual-Coil-Pickups-103867990-i1166376.gc

I have been reading and it seems that this guitar has a more "rockabilly" type tone to it. I know that it still would be an upgrade from the schecter, but should i consider it? How about reccomendations for switching pickups? How much would a pickup switch cost?
You have an 85 or an 89 in the neck?

Roll your tone control back.

Of course, it's always better to have a guitar with a nice PAF copy or something of that ilk in the neck for jazz, so find a guitar you can do that with.

I'd go for a les paul or something - they WERE originally meant as a jazz guitar after all.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 9, 2009,
Your Schecter on the neck position clean with the EMG 85 or 89TW should sound sweet and jazzy....I know it works fine for that sort of thing on my Godin LG EMG and Schecter Hellraiser pre-coiltap version.

My recommendation for a top Jazz guitar on a budget is the Godin Kingpins...handmade in Canada hollowbody w/P90 neck pickup, it goes for about $600 CDN, so maybe $550 U.S. would be around the price, and they sound fantastic
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
if you like the guitar just make the pickup switch.. currently ive got a jackson rr-5 and the stock pups i got with it were both duncans... the one in the neck is a duncan jazz pickup however though... its got the crisp humbucker sound but you can still get the warm jazz tang on a clean channel that i find is just fantastic... play around with a few guitars and remember what kind of pickups youre liking the sound of... id really recommend a duncan jazz in the neck though and it still leaves you with gnarlyness in the bridge for the heavier stuff you want to rip
Sorry, to clarify, i meant changing the pickups on the Gretsch if i bought it. I love the EMG's, wouldnt want to lose them
about how much would a duncan jazz pickup cost? are there any other comparable pickups that i could put in?
MIM Strat mate. right around that price range, get the HSS too. that neck pup has the warmest tones ive ever heard
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Exactly.

If you wanna look cool, put needles in your eyes and play.