I've been told both, seen both. I'm sure it's one of those things that's preference. I find both ways not to be a problem, I'm just wondering which one is considered "correct" technique. I'd rather do it right now, than do it wrong all along.
Depends what feels comfortable, just make sure its controlled
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I do it from the hand: place the side of your index finger against the side of the fretboard, and rotate around that.
The correct, or should I say, most accepted method, is to bend by rotating the wrist, like turning a door knob or microwave dial.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I like to use bigger strings to it'd be hard to do big bends with my fingers so I use my hand for big bends and my fingers for small bends.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
I do it almost entirely with my wrist.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Depending on context, you may use either. Generally speaking, bends on the lower strings where you can "pull" the strings down (and use the natural strength of the grasping hand) you do with your fingers, especially smaller bends.

However, if you want to push a string up (toward the ceiling), you want to support the bend with as many fingers as possible and then turn your wrist like turning a doorknob, thumb over the top of the neck for leverage. This is much, much more powerful than using your fingers and as such it's easier to control your bends and add vibrato to them.
Quote by hoochki
I've been told both, seen both. I'm sure it's one of those things that's preference. I find both ways not to be a problem, I'm just wondering which one is considered "correct" technique. I'd rather do it right now, than do it wrong all along.

Every good vibrato comes from turning the wrist.

Look at BB King or Yngwie Malmsteen play.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
By hand I meant wrist. You all stated the exact motion I've been doing. Thanks tons guys.