So i have been looking into buying some new strings for my acoustic. I play a lot of alternative, some classic rock, and i play a lot of seether and music that sounds like that. The last time i bought strings i got them from wal-mart terrible idea the high-e and b strings broke quickly. I have heard many good things about Ernie ball strings both for electric and acoustics and i bought some for my bass a while back and i really like them. I need some opinions on the Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20 Bronze Light acoustic strings. From what i have heard they are pretty good. Here is a link to these strings:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-2004-Earthwood-8020-Bronze-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings-6Pack?sku=582160
To answer your question, Ernie Ball, Walmart strings and Fender strings are all things to avoid. If you want strings - One name - D'Addario. End of story.

Just try them, then you will never think about using another brand. D'Addario strings are perfect. And also- the brand of strings dosent affect what type of music you play, the guage does.

Obv- Heavier music calls for Heavier strings
Medium - Medium
Light/fingerstyle - light.
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
i use d'addario phosphor bronze 10's on my dread, and they're very light but even so i never break strings. actually i've rarely broken strings in my life. it's possible that the problem is either playing way too hard or a sharp edge on your nut. i just asked my husband, and he hasn't broken a string in almost 20 years, and he plays with heavy picks.

there are many fine strings out there, but which strings you use has a lot to do with the sound you want, your guitar and your playing style. if you want a brighter sound, go with 80/20s, for a warmer sound with less brightness go with phosphor bronze or if you want more warmth and even less brightness, silk and steels.

if you want strings that are gentle to your fingers, go with lighter strings or silk and steels. if you want more tone and have strong wrists and fingers, go with heavier strings - although keep in mind that your guitar will have a maximum recommended string guage, and you shouldn't go heavier than that or you may damage your guitar in time.

also if you change your string gauge much, you may have to have your guitar set up, but sometimes it's really worth it.

as far as brands go, i haven't tried ernie balls for acoustics, but why not try 'em and see what you think? you're not committed to sticking with them, after all. martin makes some great strings, too, as does diamond. something i love about the d'addarios is that they not only tell you the gauge range on the package, but also the string tension. and if you have tender fingertips, go with round cores.
Quote by Mr.Pink101
To answer your question, Ernie Ball, Walmart strings and Fender strings are all things to avoid. - D'AddariIf you want strings - One nameo. End of story.

Just try them, then you will never think about using another brand. D'Addario strings are perfect. And also- the brand of strings dosent affect what type of music you play, the guage does.

Obv- Heavier music calls for Heavier strings
Medium - Medium
Light/fingerstyle - light.

That is an opinion, there are several brands out there that make great strings, and in actuality string choice is a preference. Each to their own.

I've heard that there's one series of Ernie Ball strings that aren't too bad, Earth-something? Rumor has it the paper they come in smells amazing too.

Walmart strings? Yes, chances are the tone on those is poor, as is probably the quality/life.

I myself am a big fan of Martin Marquis.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I tried the Ernie Ball Earthwood strings a while back and really didn't like them. The tone was too bright for my liking. They felt and played fine so if you like their tone you'll probably be fine with them. I pretty much just use D'Addario on my acoustic now, they're they only strings I like the sound of on it.
I tried some earthwoods and they just felt bad, sounded bad, yet smell good. Now I use Elixir Nanoweb they sound amazing(I havent smelled them though). They may cost a lot, but they last me 4x as long as other strings.