i love playing and i love learning. How can i take baby steps in learning. I liked haveing a teacher but i dont have one anymore. But i can use this site etc. Say i wanna learn scales. How do i take small steps to learning it. I learn very good when i do this process. I just need help doing it. Learning stuff till i master it and understand then move on.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
http://www.musictheory.net/index.html

check that out it might help.

Edit: its mostly for music theory tho...
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at Nov 9, 2009,
Print out all the shapes of the scales you want to learn........Switch off your computer...... Go and practice!!
Get a copy of all the scale patterns and practice them until they are burned into your memory. That's how it's done, no other way around it. It can take a few days or a month depending on how much time you put in.
Just learn your minor pentatonic.. if you havent already done so.. then learn a few songs that use it in the solos.. ie stairway to heaven, any clapton song..
then you can learn the rest of the Aeolian which is just a few extra notes on the pentatonic.. play some songs that incorporate that.. then work out the rest of your modes.. (I suggest phrygian next because it's used a fair bit).... well that's how I did it anyway.. and I'm now working out what scales I use when playing Cliffs of Dover and sisters by steve vai....
oh and the other important part to all that is to incorporate your knowledge of the scale into your own solos.. and experiment.. make it fun.
imm focusing on the pent scales and knowing them inside and out. Is there any scales i can add to them to get more notes out of them?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
well yer.. you can learn the Aeolian.. which is the minor pentatonic with the second and sixth..
you can also learn the blues scale which just adds a sharpened fourth..
there are heaps of others but those should give you a decent range of notes for the mean time..
where can i get a diagram of the notes for Aeolian scale ? Like with minor pent with the new notes added. same witht he blues one?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
where can i get a diagram of the notes for Aeolian scale ? Like with minor pent with the new notes added. same witht he blues one?

My best recommendation is learning a bit more theory - just knowing a bit more opens up so many doors to be able to learn new stuff more easily. I'd say the best things to start on is learning how the major scale and minor scales are constructed, intervals, and learning the notes on your fretboard as thoroughly as possible.

Just to get you started though - the minor pentatonic is made up from the minor scale - you just miss out a couple of notes to make it pentatonic. If you are playing A minor pentatonic, the notes are A,C,D,E,G. The full A minor scale it comes from is A-B-C-D-E-F-G, so you would add the B and F (2nd and 6th intervals). If you are playing Am pent in the 5th position, the notes you would add would be 6th str, 7th fret (B), 5th string 8th fret (F), 3rd string 4th fret (B), and 2nd string, 6th fret (F).