it seems like all mid range and many high end guitars come stocked with em. mainly the 81 85 set, which doesnt give the guitar much personality. personaly i think sd blackouts have a much better sound. anyways im not saying they are bad pickups they just seem to dominate the market for some odd reason. any thoughts?
Quote by dunkintate
it seems like all mid range and many high end guitars come stocked with em. mainly the 81 85 set, which doesnt give the guitar much personality. personaly i think sd blackouts have a much better sound. anyways im not saying they are bad pickups they just seem to dominate the market for some odd reason. any thoughts?

Everybody has a different opinion of what sounds better. I like passives personally, but for each his own. There are plenty of high end guitars out there that don't have EMG's.
To each his own. I prefer an SD Jazz for cleans, but I really like an 81 for tight low tuned riffing.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I dunno. I really like actives. However I am very partial to a set of Bareknuckles...
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I think pickups in general are overrated...

but really, I think they are a bit overrated but that's just my opinion

I prefer a strong set of passives myself
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 9, 2009,
of course this is my opinion and was just interested if others felt the same. yeah a bare knuckle warpig is awesome for down tunings in fact it's more powerful than an 81
Last edited by dunkintate at Feb 25, 2010,
I personally don't care for actives but there are certain genres that are flooded with EMGs (such as metalcore) and its hard to get the same "staple tone" without EMGs.
I just hate actives in general. they seem to lack the "natural" sound of passives that I like. With passives, I hear more of the person playing, rather than just the notes being played. IDK, just my opinion.
Quote by MetalUpYourRear
With passives, I hear more of the person playing, rather than just the notes being played. IDK, just my opinion.

That's the best way Ive heard it put good studf
Dimarzio. sounds better IMO.
If love was money I could afford you honey.

Bandalism [Ban-dil-i-zem] n.: the willful or malicious destruction of, or damage to, the fabric of a rock/pop/indie/metal group brought about by one or more of its members.
i personally agree with dunkintate that blackouts are better. I don't have a set yet, but im savnig up for a set. anyway, EMG's are good, but they dont have any originality, if you know what i mean. like everyone uses them, so they have such a generic sound now.
dimarzio is awesome another brand I like is rockfield they have very reasonable prices too.
Last edited by dunkintate at Nov 9, 2009,
I, personally, think that active pups are about as cool as passives. I like the evenness of it, great shredders pup and great for down tunind. But passives sound so much more natural.

I guess I'll put some passives in my destroyer, Tone Zone and Air Norton. Down the road I want a RG550, throw some actives in that probably.

Just depends on the guitar I guess.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Pickups can sound different depending on the wood they're put in, so having actives may sound better in some guitars. It all down to opinion what sound's better though. I don't think EMGs sound bad though - for certain tones - such as metalcore/groove metal or whatever where you need a really compressed sound, I think they sound great. But you're damn right that they're overrated. Nearly ever 09er who come into the GG&A to answer a question such as 'What gear do I need for metal?' answers with 'EMGs',