Would you mind uploading a more common file type please? Mp3 would be nice.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You could plainly use F# major or pentatonic on F# (Flatened 7th). Usually if things seem to complicated, then they are.
You're in F#m. Your chord progression is F#m - E - B - F#m. So you'll want to use F# minor. However, over the B Major chord, you'll need to use F# Dorian.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Nov 9, 2009,
F# Major will most certainly NOT sound very good.
Quote by Eastwinn
However, over the B Major chord, you'll need to use F# harmonic minor.

Harmonic minor is a convention in which the V chord of a minor key is made major, not chord IV, so i don't see how that would work, the E# would clash with the B for starters.
Quote by griffRG7321
Harmonic minor is a convention in which the V chord of a minor key is made major, not chord IV, so i don't see how that would work, the E# would clash with the B for starters.

Haha, woops, my mistake. God, after you post on this forum so much, you start making the most stupid little mix ups. I edited in the right info.
Quote by Eastwinn
You're in F#m. Your chord progression is F#m - E - B - F#m. So you'll want to use F# minor. However, over the B Major chord, you'll need to use F# Dorian.

That progression looks like E major to me. No need to use modes.
Last edited by isaac_bandits at Nov 9, 2009,
Quote by isaac_bandits
That progression looks like E major to me. No need to use modes.

You think that resolves on E Major..?
Quote by Eastwinn
You think that resolves on E Major..?

After actually looking at the file rather than just looking at what you had written, F♯ major seems like the right key.
The only notes I use are F#,G#, A#, B, C#, D#, E

so I was thinking I could use any of the following since they all contain the same notes

Bmaj - Ionian
C#min - Dorian
D#min - phrygian
Emaj - lydian
F#maj - mixolydian
G#min - aeolian
A#dim - Locrian

can someone please rule out which ones wouldnt work at explain why? I understand certain scales sound dark such as locrian so it probably wouldn't work...but im just confused

and would F#min be the relative minor to Bmaj?
It wouldn't be any of those -- you don't need to bring modes into the equation. This isn't modal.

I said it was F#m before but I just looked at the notes real quick. I made a big mistake. The chords you have are F# Major - E Major - B Major - F# Major. isaac_bandits is correct, it's in F# Major. The reason is because it resolves to F# Major.
so what scale is appropriate for this piece? I just would like a scale that contains all the same notes so I don't really have constant accidentals in the solo...just maybe an accidental here or there
Quote by jacknifepwrbmb
so what scale is appropriate for this piece? I just would like a scale that contains all the same notes so I don't really have constant accidentals in the solo...just maybe an accidental here or there

Its in F♯ major. The progression is I - IV - ♭VII - I. Play the notes that sound best. There is no magic scale for it. F♯ major will work well over the F♯ and B chords, but the E is borrowed from the parallel minor, so you'll have to be careful using the E♯ over it.
any suggestions as to what I could maybe try to do to add some depth to this piece because it sounds pretty generic right now... i have changed the little arpeggiated minor deal at the end but to sound less robotic and what not but I'd like to add some color to this...i got some cool lyrics written for it too, but just want a few more change ups for the tune.
Maybe try playing some fuller chords with a more interesting rhythm in the beginning. Instead of playing a F#5, play an F# Major, or maybe an F#maj7th. Play around with voicings. I can give you a few "alternatives" to power chords -- quick and dirty shapes that work in similar ways. As far as making a more interesting rhythm, well, that's something you might just need to imagine in your head and just play.
Well I would play it differently for that main riff since its higher on the neck then it needs to be... try shifting it to the A string or even D.
ehlert99 - in the actual version I use the lower chords...and some open ones, cause I' didn't like the higher pitch, so I have already fixed that and am more satisfied with it...

eastwinn...what are these quick and dirty shapes you are offering? And I am going to try to figure some other chords out to try instead, problem is I am not that good at difficult chord shapes and I want to be able to play this and sing at the same time so I try to keep it simple enough...but if you can give me some other shapes to use, i'd almost suck your penis
Quote by ehlert99
Well I would play it differently for that main riff since its higher on the neck then it needs to be... try shifting it to the A string or even D.

That won't change anything other than tone. Tone isn't what makes something sound generic. He needs to alter notes and or rhythms to make it not sound generic.
Well your power chords are standing in for other chords.. The F# power chord is standing in for an F# Major. The E power chord is standing in for an E Major. Off the bat, you could use just regular major chord shapes. I don't really like the way those sound though under distortion. You could extend the F# Major to an F#maj7 and use this shape (E-d) 14-16-15. The same could be done with E Major. That's not a complete maj7 chord because it's missing the 3rd. You could also use 14-13-15 which is missing the 5th. Actually, there are so many of these, I don't think I could cover them all in one post.
*smiles like a donut*

I got this little fmaj arpeggiated part at the end thats pretty cool, the song is going to be about classic wrestling shit...but i wanted to share the lyrics I have for this part...i almost sweep it, but its a slow sweep if at all a sweep, more just arpeggiated but here are the lyrics

(Fmaj sweep)
I beat up Ric Flair
I beat Hulk Hogan
(Emaj sweep)
I beat up
the ultimate warrior
(bmaj sweep)
Randy savage even had
his ass kicked
(fmaj sweep)
and I beat up
King Kong Brodie