need some pedal help, have never used one (other than a G1 Multi-Effects Pedal) , so was wondering what different ones will do/etc..

Current Set-Up:

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Line 6 Spider III (30W)

a few questions:

1. Will an Acoustic simulator pedal (e.g. Boss AC-2) sound good changing from my amp on the 'insane' mode, with pleanty of drive/mid/bass, & guitar on treble pickup, into an acoustic sound? The Acoustic sim. in my G1 pedal doesnt. There always seems to be a backing soung that overpowers the clean-ness...

2.seeing as im a beginner when it comes to effects etc... can you guys help direct me to how to get certain tones from these videos?

(looking for the wah effect, on the scratch-picking sound...., guitar starts at 0:52)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNZcZfhUGs

also, an effect pedal that can go from this cleaner sound (at the start of the song, it's an interlude..) into the regular distorted 'rock' guitar tone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwAwJxLvfnE

SO BASICALLY!.. , I'm happy with the tone i can achieve from my Guitar & Amp alone, for a 'main rock' distorted tone.

so now, i'm looking into buying 1 or 2 EFX pedals to variate my playing. An Acoustic/Clean tone is the first thing i'd like. Then secondly, something different like a wah pedal, or ... i dont know, something cool...

Thanks to anyone who can help, much apreciated!
1. No, it's built for use on the clean channel, the acoustic simulator is pretty crap anyway.

2. A wah pedal

3. Basically the clean amp channel, then a distortion/overdrive/fuzz/boost pedal.

You can't buy a pedal to give you cleans, you can buy a compressor, reverb, delay, chorus or such to improve them, but nothings going to take you from METALZ to clean in a stomp unless you buy a channel switcher for your amp.

Of course you're better off getting a better amp all together.

But if that's not an option look into a ProCo rat, barber dirty bomb, electro harmonix muff/metal muff for a straight out distortion, for softer overdrive, digitech bad monkey, but i don't recomend getting an OD pedal for spider, fuzz, well, i wouldn't get into fuzz atm if you're only just starting with effects.
ok, thanks for telling me about not being able to go metal to clean.... maybe a channel selector would be best bet for now, not really ready to upgrade amp yet...
I don't even think you can get the channel selector switch for the 30 watt spiders.

You cant go from metal on your amp to clean with a pedal. But you can go from clean on your amp to metal with a pedal.
oh... but it does have a FBV port (looks like a USB one)....

ok, thanks, i didnt know that before!

i've just found the pedal board of one of my favourite guitarists:

http://sunfired.net/GalleryJ/albums/pedals/Image2.jpg

not really sure what/how it works..... (and obv. it must be expensive....) what would be the best parts of this for me to improve my tone?
Have a look online or in the spiders handbook.

Does look like a pricey rig, basically all the pedals are linked together with patch cables (small cables), meaning theyre always in the signal chain so you can turn any one of them on that you want to use for there different effects.

I wouldn't plan on copying your favourite guitarists tone since most of their tone will come from the amp they use which is probably worth way more than that pedal board. Just go to a guitar shop, ask to try out some of there pedals, see what you like best.
If I were you, I'd just buy the FBV if you really think you need it and save for an amp which will give you a better clean & distorted tone and then evaluate the need for pedals. The general rule of thumb as well is that dirt pedals + modeling doesn't go well together. I've never been able to get a nice tone out of the two anyway

Listen to becky though, just go try out stuff on a Spider in the shop and that'll give you a pretty decent idea of what you're looking at if you really want some pedals.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I recommend that you find settings that you like on your amp rather than looking into pedals. The Spider series don't take pedals well (i.e. they don't sound good with pedals) because they are designed to run on their own effects, not external ones.

Get the FBV footswitch if your amp will accept one (don't know much about the layout of the different Spider models. This way you can change from your clean channel to your dirt channel.
^ thankyou guys, i think the fbv will be best for now...

just one last thing, out of the pedalboard pic i posted before (Above), could someone run me through each one, what they do, and their price? (& the order of what you think is most important) because i'm hoping to create a brand new rig soon, (new amp, etc..) so that would be very helpful! thanks
^ also, just researched the line 6 fbv express pedalboard thing, and it looks alright. it has a volume/wah foot pedal on it, but seeing as my amp (line 6 spider iii 30watt) doesnt already have an auto-wah/wah effect built-in, does this pedal actually contain the wah effect?

thanks again
Have a look online for prices

The bottom right is an Ibanez TS9 (I think), which is an overdrive pedal, used to push valve amps into distortion

The blue one on the left of it is a Fulltone Full-drive 2, once again used for overdrive and with the boost mode you can get more gain

Menatone Red Snapper, not sure on this one, looks like a distortion pedal

Some kind of A/B switch for switching between pedals

Fulltone OCD another overdrive pedal

Framptone looper?

Fulltone Soulbender is a remake of an old classic fuzz pedal

Boss Tu2, err its a tuner

Looks like a Arion Stereo Chorus, basically chorus is the effect from Come As You Are by Nirvana, makes your guitar sound a bit wet and thick

Dunlop Cry Baby, a wah pedal, makes your guitar go wah wah in sync with how you rock the pedal back and forth

Line 6 Dl4, a pretty cool delay modeler pedal, basically creates an echo effect, pretty sure it has a built in looper too

Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb, I have one of these, awesome pedal, adds a bit of ambience to your sound, as if you were playing in a big open room

Line 6 MM4, a modulation modeler, effects like flange, phase, leslie, chorus, etc.

Fulltone Supa trem, a tremolo effect, basically when you stomp on it fades the volume in and out depending on the settings

Fulltone Deja Vibe, basically does what a whammy bar does but set to certain time an pitch change

Look them up on youtube, if you don't know what any of them do, you dont need them, especially not on a line 6 spider which probably allready has most of these effects built in.

^I think so.
^ thanks for info! so there was quite a few distortion pedals.... is that just for choice, or are they used all at once?
I'm sorry... but I have to say that this is a result of dropping $1100 on a guitar, and then $300 on an amp.....you could have reversed those numbers and been much happier.... either way....

Pedals aren't going to make that amp sound good at all.....I would highly suggest selling it if you can and saving up for a new amp...
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
yeah, i understand about the amp... looking into getting a better one next year sometime...

so just enquiring aout the other pedals etc. at the min....
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I'm sorry... but I have to say that this is a result of dropping $1100 on a guitar, and then $300 on an amp.....you could have reversed those numbers and been much happier.... either way....

Then he'd end up feeling more than a little unhappy because he's not playing the guitar he's been ogling at for the past few months.

That prejudice of thinking that an amp tone is the end all and be all of being happy with your gear is a major fallacy. After all, I'm sure you get regular bouts of GAS as well right Brendan (new pedal?)? Anyways, I'd rather have a great guitar and a crap tone, than a great tone and a guitar I'm not too pleased with.

Then again, I'd have to agree... there's something to be said about running a LP Studio into a Spider III.

I'd also suggest you stop looking at pedals and start saving up for a new amp. The Spider does not play well with pedals, and any pedals you get now will not be worth their weight when you do change amps.

Unless you're gonna go back to a Line 6 product like a Spider Valve or Flextone... the FBV will also be a waste of money in the long run. Forget about the FBV... its like buying a computer... the moment you pay money for it, it depreciates by 50%. Its worth very little without a Line 6 amp, and when you sell it with a Line 6 amp, you don't recover much investment with it.

Try to offload the Spider asap and get a better amp.

If you can... look at amps like...
Flextone XL
Peavey Vypyr
Peavey Royal 8
Blues Jr
Blackheart Little Giant
Blackheart Killer Ant
Vox AC4TV
Vox Nighttrain
Orange AD5 (used, fleabay, clist, pawn shops)
Marshall Haze (maybe)

At least when you get one of these amps, you'll be happier with the tone even without pedal. When you do look into pedals, at least the pedals will have a good tone to enhance.

When you plug any distortion pedal into a Spider 3... it'll be like skinning a cat with its claws on a chalkboard.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 10, 2009,
^ totally know what you mean...

been looking into Orange amps, but the AD5 only seems to have 'volume' & 'Tone' Controls.... but i suppose then, pedals would help.

also like the matchless amps, but im pretty sure they are all £1000+ ...

at the moment, i am only a 'practice' guitarist... not currently in a band, so not playing live etc... so seeing as i'm planning on keeping the spider amp for at least another year, maybe the fbv express would be worth getting?
Quote by Steven182
^ totally know what you mean...

been looking into Orange amps, but the AD5 only seems to have 'volume' & 'Tone' Controls.... but i suppose then, pedals would help.

also like the matchless amps, but im pretty sure they are all £1000+ ...

at the moment, i am only a 'practice' guitarist... not currently in a band, so not playing live etc... so seeing as i'm planning on keeping the spider amp for at least another year, maybe the fbv express would be worth getting?

Nope... not at all... when you sell the Spider III... the next dude won't be keen pay extra for the pedal... since he wants an amp... not its pedal. At best, the next dude will give you a 20 for the extra, maybe.

When you sell the FBV separately, people're gonna slit your throat.

The FBV is worthless without a Line 6 modelling amp. With the Line 6 modelling amp, its worth as much as an extra. See where I am going?

Don't waste your time. I'd recommend you offload the Spider III today. The Spider IV is already out on the market. The longer you wait to sell the Spider III... the more likely you'll get nothing for it.

The Orange AD5 is a class A amp and it was meant to adopt "minimalist" approach towards tone. Its design as an amp that you'd crank to get your tonal colouration from pushed power tubes, not EQ fiddling.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 11, 2009,
Quote by Steven182
^ right ok... i dont really sell stuff..

but the orange sounds good

Well what's the point of having an amp you don't use?

Worse still what's the point of having a pedal specifically for an amp that you won't use?

The AD5 is a niiiiice amp... too bad its out of production.

You'll best start trolling clist and fleabay for it.

Its an awesome amp. Orange tone at a relatively budget price.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 12, 2009,
yeah, i know... but i just like to keep it as spare

is this orange amp any good?

Orange RK30C Rocker Combo (£675.00)

when i do upgrade my amp, i would possible be able to go to around the 5-600 price.... or does that unlock matchless amps?

thanks for all the help last few days again! x