Hello

My bassplaying bandmate bought a new amplifier and cabinet.

It's the Behringer BVT5500 amp head (550W) and the ashdown 410 (450W) cabinet.
I know that with guitar heads (especially tube), the cabinet power rating should be equal and preferably higher than the amp head output power rating.

Is this the same with a solid state bass head?

If so, would it be harmful to connect the 4Ohm output on the head to the 8ohm input on the cabinet to try and bring the power down?

Thanks in advance.
A second cab would be safer and improve the sound.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

If the head runs at less than 450w at 8ohms (which it most probably does) then you will be fine. As long as the cab is 8ohms and not 4ohms, nothing go wrong. Apart from the fact that the head is a Behringer.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
If your bassist just bought the behringer head tell him/her to take it back IMMEDIATELY!!! You will be sorry if you dont.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Nothing wrong with the sound of behringer.

I will be fine., Hell only be using 300 watts with the one cabinet, and even if its 4 ohms it will be fine.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I couldn't find any specific information on this amp but all the Behringers I have looked at rate the amps as 'peak power' so your 500W is probably only 250W RMS and less than that if the amp is 8ohms so you will be fine using the ashdown.
Thank you for your help guys.

He also got a reply from Behringer saying:

"Your cabinet needs to be rated at 4 ohms or higher. It will function correctly."

So i guess it's fine, considering Phil's explanation .

@ people hating on Behringer (or any other brand for that matter): please go back to kindergarten. People buy stuff for all sorts of reasons: money-related, they like the tone, they like the image of the brand, whatever. It's not for me or you to judge. Also, comments like that really didn't help the problem he had.
Quote by skralan
Thank you for your help guys.

He also got a reply from Behringer saying:

"Your cabinet needs to be rated at 4 ohms or higher. It will function correctly."

So i guess it's fine, considering Phil's explanation .

@ people hating on Behringer (or any other brand for that matter): please go back to kindergarten. People buy stuff for all sorts of reasons: money-related, they like the tone, they like the image of the brand, whatever. It's not for me or you to judge. Also, comments like that really didn't help the problem he had.

The hating is because, behringer gear, particularly amps and pedals, are inherently of awful construction quality, and are more often than not, overrated by behringer themselves in terms of power output.

In most scenarios, you would be better off returning the amp, and shelling out a little more for a better brand, in order to gain equal or better tone, as well as a more reliable unit.

So its not so much hating, as solid advice
I've been playing Behringer gear for years and have never had a single issue with any of it. All my gear has been bounced around in the back of a van, dropped, knocked over, you name it, it's suffered it. Every bit still going strong.

I've had the BVT5500 for about a year and the sound is great. It's as tough as old boots and I have no fear that it will let me down more than any other brand of amp.

There is a ridiculous snobbery about Behringer gear and I think that it's because it's cheap and accessible.

We'd all love an Ampeg I'm sure but most of us simply can't afford it.

I also reckon most criticisers of Behringer gear are victims of peer pressure who've never even tried them properly.

(I am not Uri Behringer by the way)