Okay so i just learnt today, that Jazz band open emsemble is tommorrow at 7-9. Im a freshman at the high school so i don't know the Jazz Band teacher. And I wanna sign up for the Guitar part and found out its all sheet music!

I Can't read sheet music fast. Not even meduim pace, it takes me abit then i Have to play it over and over till i get it. So it could take me abit to learn these piecies and Mr Wasser (Jazz Band Teacher) said thats gonna be a huge problem. now if needed I can put the fret number down and remember what string above the notes But that would take 10-15 mins and I think he wants us to be playing this stuff instantly. I can play very well, I work on advance stuff thats out there so I can play it, its just the sheet music that'll cause me problems at first!

Now I need some advice on what to do cause he dosnt know my potienal or anything and I know i can play it, it'll just take abit to figure out the sheet music. And waiting till next year or saying screw it is NOT AN OPTION!!!!

So give me some advice!
I'm learning to read notes right now, and I'm using Frederick Noad's Solo Guitar Playing volume 1. I like it because the way he sets up learning the notes is by giving you a bunch of sheet music in the book and gradually adding notes and such. I don't know if he did it on purpose or not but it seems like you learn the notes pretty damn quick.

Which is saying a lot because I used to play stand up Bass in orchestra and I've got the Bass clef pretty much burned into my memory, so I screw up every now and then by getting them mixed together.

It's a book primarily for classical guitar but you could still pick everything if you wanted to. As long as you go through every exercise until you don't mess up you'll catch on pretty quick. And you say you're pretty good so I imagine you'd be able to play the notes in different positions and such. If not the book might be too long of a process because it doesn't deal past positions on the 5th fret.

And one trick I'd do in orchestra (cheating a little bit) is write the finger I'd use above a note I have a hard time with. Then after a while you don't need the number for that note anymore.

Hope that helps.
Quote by LicensedToChill
I'm learning to read notes right now, and I'm using Frederick Noad's Solo Guitar Playing volume 1. I like it because the way he sets up learning the notes is by giving you a bunch of sheet music in the book and gradually adding notes and such. I don't know if he did it on purpose or not but it seems like you learn the notes pretty damn quick.

Which is saying a lot because I used to play stand up Bass in orchestra and I've got the Bass clef pretty much burned into my memory, so I screw up every now and then by getting them mixed together.

It's a book primarily for classical guitar but you could still pick everything if you wanted to. As long as you go through every exercise until you don't mess up you'll catch on pretty quick. And you say you're pretty good so I imagine you'd be able to play the notes in different positions and such. If not the book might be too long of a process because it doesn't deal past positions on the 5th fret.

And one trick I'd do in orchestra (cheating a little bit) is write the finger I'd use above a note I have a hard time with. Then after a while you don't need the number for that note anymore.

Hope that helps.

I was gonna cheat abit in Jazz Band that way too and I have the Treble cleft burned into my head and I am learning to read sheet music too with Berklees Modern Guitar Volume set. I thought we had till december for this but its tommorrow and Im sure he wants us to play it instantly, So i cant cheat so I hope i can show up get the sheet music cheat abit then play it well. Its just tommorrow cause thats first impressions and I don't wanna get kicked cause i was standing all dumb struck standing there trying to figure out all the sheet music.

I plan to show up and "jazzle" them with a couple things then use my excuse of sheet music and i'm learning it then take the music home and cheat then show up Thursday and play it nice.

Its just tommorrow is like a break it or make it thing!
Quote by Xter
I was gonna cheat abit in Jazz Band that way too and I have the Treble cleft burned into my head and I am learning to read sheet music too with Berklees Modern Guitar Volume set. I thought we had till december for this but its tommorrow and Im sure he wants us to play it instantly, So i cant cheat so I hope i can show up get the sheet music cheat abit then play it well. Its just tommorrow cause thats first impressions and I don't wanna get kicked cause i was standing all dumb struck standing there trying to figure out all the sheet music.

I plan to show up and "jazzle" them with a couple things then use my excuse of sheet music and i'm learning it then take the music home and cheat then show up Thursday and play it nice.

Its just tommorrow is like a break it or make it thing!

Hmmm, yeah, that's what I'd do. If you're a pretty good player just play some jazzy riff or something, but I'm sure if you explain that if you have trouble with sheet music he'll understand. And if you're good enough I'm sure he'd be eager to have you on and help you catch up.

Do you know scales and stuff? Do you play any of jazz? I'd say if your answer is yes to both of those you'll probably be ok. Jazz is mostly improvisation anyway, I wouldn't think it would take too long to make the connection between playing and reading. Good luck man!
Quote by LicensedToChill
Hmmm, yeah, that's what I'd do. If you're a pretty good player just play some jazzy riff or something, but I'm sure if you explain that if you have trouble with sheet music he'll understand. And if you're good enough I'm sure he'd be eager to have you on and help you catch up.

Do you know scales and stuff? Do you play any of jazz? I'd say if your answer is yes to both of those you'll probably be ok. Jazz is mostly improvisation anyway, I wouldn't think it would take too long to make the connection between playing and reading. Good luck man!

Yea I know my scales and i guess to some degree of music I play Jazz, and Hopifully he'll keep me cause i been looking forweard to this for forever.

Thanks for all the advice