I want to know how much more work goes into making a bass that has 5 or six strings. If I buy a five or six string neck what would I have to change on the body besides the neck socket and the scale?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Yea, the bridge and pups are a given, but does any of the body shape need to be changed. Basically what I have right now is a four string bass body template that I made from some really tough cardboard like material. If I could widen the neck pocket to match a six string neck, would that be all I have to do?
You might need to have to make it a set neck; there might not be enough room on the heel to a bolt on for a neck that wide.
That's about it really. The horns might get in the way of playing, so keep that in mind.
Ok, thanks guys!
You could easily do a bolt on, just make sure you adjust the neck pocket and heel size accordingly. Other then that, you should probably adjust the scale length (a lot of 5 and 6 string necks are 35"), but yeah, those are the only conceivable things.

If you get this going, pics shall be required
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
^wet?

Yea, most def with the pics. Gotta get the money to get started, though, so Im selling my ATK on the Bay.
Quote by c3powil
Im selling my ATK on the Bay.

Tis a travesty!

This build will have to be epic. Any specs? Ideas so far?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Yup, I got a template. My friend helped me with a pretty cool, yet not too outrageous design. Woods gonna be either mahogany or african rosewood/ bubinga. pups are EMGs pj combo. I hear they are very transparent so they will show off the woods natural tone quite well. Ill probably get a neck from warmoth. It all really depends on the amount of money I have at the time.