I have a Dual Rectifier and I was considering getting one of the new American 62' reissue Jazzmasters because i'm sick of messing with Floyd Roses and i've always loved Fenders. I've played a couple Jazzmasters but I have never played a Jazzmaster through a high gain amp. I've owned a Jaguar and a Mustang in the past and played them pretty distorted through my old Marshall and they sounded ok. But the Boogies aren't really made for single coils and i'm not used to the P-90 style pickups (Plus I don't want to throw down full price for a new amp head). So if someone could give me an idea if this sounds good or not before I haul my amp 45 minutes away to the store.

I was also thinking about trading the Dual Rec for a Tremoverb head at the guitar center down south, I actually prefer the sound of the Tremoverb to the normal Dual Rec. Take that into account as well.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out.
Think For Yourself, Question Authority - Dr. Timothy Leary

Quote by Poopsmith666
[21:09] im so canadian i piss maple syrup and i shit the beavers!

Quote by theyab
[1:01] im 21 years old i know how to jerk off
Jazzmasters don't have P-90's, they have their own pickups which are very wide flat single coils (P-90's are taller). Also, Jazzmasters have 1 meg ohm pots which makes them sound brighter than they would with more conventional pot values.

I do use a Jazzmaster for heavy rock though, and I can see one doing great through a Boogie, however, if you want to avoid the hum and noise those guitars pickup (Jazzmasters are like an antenna with strings, this can be a bane or a boon depending upon what you want musically), you will need to learn to keep tabs on that lead circuit volume knob. Even then, there will still be noise, that's just the Jazzmaster's character.

The vibrato is nothing like a Floyd Rose, but I'll be amongst the first to say they CAN do dive bombs, not limp string ones like a Floyd, but they can go rather low when set up with light strings, down to a Low B note. There's lots with that bridge system that you CAN do that you can't do with a Floyd Rose (especially when it comes to using the extra string behind the bridge).

The biggest problem I can see anyone encountering with a Jazzmaster is the bridge. I found my own kinda weird way of making it work (stronger springs on the outer saddles, and a shorter screw on the low E), but some people opt for a Mustang or Mastery bridge for it. If you can get it just right, sustain should not be an issue, and you can get some pretty wicked sustain out of a Jazzmaster on a high gain amp.

The Jazzmaster distorted can sound quite "shreddy" when run on something like a boogie, but it's going to come out that that's not a humbucker when hitting single notes, that single coil timbre will be there, albeit a fatter and louder one than usual. That's basically the Jazzmaster's sound - the low end of a Gibson with the Top end of a Fender, and a certain Gretsch-like snarly twang, think Brian Setzer.

And that's all I can think of for now.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
That's the best answer i've ever received on anything I've ever posted on here. Thank you very much
Think For Yourself, Question Authority - Dr. Timothy Leary

Quote by Poopsmith666
[21:09] im so canadian i piss maple syrup and i shit the beavers!

Quote by theyab
[1:01] im 21 years old i know how to jerk off