I plan on getting one of the two, and in closed back form. I played through an orange closed back 2x12 the other and it sounded incredible. However i think the mesa 2x12 may be a bit cheaper.

I like a warm/punchy/somewhat big sound. This being the case which cab would you recommend?

thanks a lot,

-drew
I think Mesa Boogie cabinets sound poor unless you are using a Mesa to drive them. Although, the quality of construction in the aforementioned cabinet is far better than an Orange—which is kinda shoddy, if you ask me: Corners pealing off, not stuck down properly, etc. It doesn't lend you the feeling of sincerity and quality.

But if you really liked the sound of the Orange cabinet through the amp you'll be using, there should be no worries. I'd say you'd be fine.
i have to disagree and say that the build quality of Oranges is top notch. they're also excellent sounding cabs no matter what is driving them.
what head you putting on top of the cab?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I love orange cabs, but for the money you could get a much nicer avatar
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I think Mesa Boogie cabinets sound poor unless you are using a Mesa to drive them

I reckon this is fairly true - though wouldn't go as far as saying poor! If you are putting a dual rec on it, then the Mesa sounds great. Otherwise I would maybe edge towards orange especially as you say a warm, punchy sound is what you're after.
I'm planning on getting a tiny terror...which leads me to my next question.

Im probably gonna be gigging with the tiny terror...so if i were to use it on the 15 watt setting at full volume, would a 1x12 orange cab suffice in making the amp loud enough to be heard without being mic'd?

Its a 2 part question i guess haha...is the tiny terror loud enough to be heard over drums/bass/ etc. without being mic'd...and if so, could a 1x12 cab get the job done?

The reason i bring up 1x12 cabs is because its obviously cheaper and im going to college next year so it wouldnt take up as much room in my dorm as a 2x12 would.

thanks,

-drew
I personally haven't played the Orange cab so take my advice with a grain of salt.

My old Tiny Terror at 15W hung just fine with a bass, drum kit and another guitarist in a jamming situation, through a 1x12 Epiphone Valve Jr. cab. I think I had the volume at about 11 or 12:00 and the gain at 3:00 so it still had some more room to go.

I've played the Tiny Terror through a closed-back 2x12 Mesa Recto cab and I thought it sounded fine. Pretty tight since it was a closed-back, and nice and clear through the V30s. Try it yourself and see what you think!
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Nov 9, 2009,
Quote by ipunchcouches

The reason i bring up 1x12 cabs is because its obviously cheaper and im going to college next year so it wouldnt take up as much room in my dorm as a 2x12 would.

thanks,

-drew

I hope you trust whoever you are rooming with next year, that's some expensive equipment to take to college. I have an Epiphone blues custom 30 (2x12) in my college dorm now and believe me you will never want to use it unless you have a power attenuator. Also, the cab size isn't just about volume, a 2x12 cab will sound different than a 1x12 cab. I personally love 2x12 cabs more than anything since it pushes more air and just gives a fuller sound imo.
Quote by ipunchcouches
I'm planning on getting a tiny terror...which leads me to my next question.

Im probably gonna be gigging with the tiny terror...so if i were to use it on the 15 watt setting at full volume, would a 1x12 orange cab suffice in making the amp loud enough to be heard without being mic'd?

Its a 2 part question i guess haha...is the tiny terror loud enough to be heard over drums/bass/ etc. without being mic'd...and if so, could a 1x12 cab get the job done?

thanks,

-drew
For gigging, I would advise 2x12 or higher.

A Tiny Terror through a half-stack or quarter-stack will be heard over most drummers if you're playing rock, yeah. For metal, though, imo, it may struggle. But I don't like leaving marginal amount of differences in volume, I liked to have the option of driving it louder if the song requires it.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I think Mesa Boogie cabinets sound poor unless you are using a Mesa to drive them..

Totally disagree.

Since I've had my Recto 4x12, I've only had one Mesa running through it and it's still my favorite cab to date. It does make some amps a bit boomy, but you can dial that out easily. On the plus side, it makes every amp I've played through it sound HUGE.

However, that being said, for a 2x12, if you have the cash, I'd probably go with the Orange
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm going to have to vote Orange. IMO, they sound better than Mesa cabs, the quality is amazing, plus - they look cooler.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Totally disagree.

Since I've had my Recto 4x12, I've only had one Mesa running through it and it's still my favorite cab to date. It does make some amps a bit boomy, but you can dial that out easily. On the plus side, it makes every amp I've played through it sound HUGE.

However, that being said, for a 2x12, if you have the cash, I'd probably go with the Orange
I knew someone would disagree.

When I tried out a Powerball - after I'd already bought one - I combined it with the V60's ENGL cabinets (which is why I was trying it out) and it sounded nice. But I wanted to see how well the Mesa cabinet with V30's sounded, so I plomped it over and found it sounded like crap.

That being said, that is the only mesa cabinet I've ever played. When I had a Single Rectifier, I used an Avatar.
Okay, in all seriousness to the people suggesting avatar, please stfu. He is dropping quite a bit of money on a cabinet because he wants that level of quality. If he wanted avatar level of quality (not saying they are bad...but nothing compared to a boogie or orange) then he would spend that much. Please stop suggesting lower quality stuff because you think he "doesnt need it" or whatever. Cab/speakers make up a fairly large portion of tone and therefore is worth shelling out extra cash for.

I suggest the orange.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I knew someone would disagree.

When I tried out a Powerball - after I'd already bought one - I combined it with the V60's ENGL cabinets (which is why I was trying it out) and it sounded nice. But I wanted to see how well the Mesa cabinet with V30's sounded, so I plomped it over and found it sounded like crap.

That being said, that is the only mesa cabinet I've ever played. When I had a Single Rectifier, I used an Avatar.

Interesting, friend of mine has a V60 Engl cab and I couldn't stand it

I'd imagine it'd probably sound better with an Engl though, he was using a Mesa through it I do believe.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Interesting, friend of mine has a V60 Engl cab and I couldn't stand it

I'd imagine it'd probably sound better with an Engl though, he was using a Mesa through it I do believe.

It's probably a matter of you're kinda right, I'm kinda wrong. But it doesn't matter.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Okay, in all seriousness to the people suggesting avatar, please stfu. He is dropping quite a bit of money on a cabinet because he wants that level of quality. If he wanted avatar level of quality (not saying they are bad...but nothing compared to a boogie or orange) then he would spend that much. Please stop suggesting lower quality stuff because you think he "doesnt need it" or whatever. Cab/speakers make up a fairly large portion of tone and therefore is worth shelling out extra cash for.

I suggest the orange.
I think there was only one person who recommended Avatar...

just sayin
Quote by Brendan.Clace

I suggest the orange.

But if he's going with a new Orange cab, he may as well pick up an Avatar Contemporary 212. They are made to the same dimensions as the Orange PPC212 and are loads cheaper. If he wants a bit of extra support and response in the cab, he can put in his own corner supports, which wouldn't be difficult at all. If he's going used and picking up an Orange cab from a few years ago, I'd say to stick with the Orange, but recently (I'm not sure which year) they reduced the thickness of the wood they use and now, it's exactly the same thickness as the Avatar Contemporary. I'm not a huge Avatar fan, but in the case of Orange vs Avatar Contemporary, I feel that you're paying for the name.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
But if he's going with a new Orange cab, he may as well pick up an Avatar Contemporary 212. They are made to the same dimensions as the Orange PPC212 and are loads cheaper. If he wants a bit of extra support and response in the cab, he can put in his own corner supports, which wouldn't be difficult at all. If he's going used and picking up an Orange cab from a few years ago, I'd say to stick with the Orange, but recently (I'm not sure which year) they reduced the thickness of the wood they use and now, it's exactly the same thickness as the Avatar Contemporary. I'm not a huge Avatar fan, but in the case of Orange vs Avatar Contemporary, I feel that you're paying for the name.

I was about to post and suggest the same thing. The guy i bought my jcm900 cab off of had a 2x12 orange cab no emblems and i was like nice cab and he showed it off played through it etc. sounded awesome. He said he just got it, hence why he was selling off the 4x12 and i had asked him "How much was that orange 2x12 ?" he said oh it's a avatar w/ celestions. v30 g12h mix.

Honestly thats the first and only time i ever saw a avatar cab in person and it looked and sounded scwheet !

Personally imo, a good cab is a good cab. Some are better then others even among the same model.

I do like mesa cabs alot, they are top notch and solid. Next i like marshall cabs if you get one for the right price.

If you got no budget you know what you want, just buy it. But if you have to settle bag one of them avatars.

If it bothers you i am sure you can tell them to leave off the logo.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
also something to think about. Especially with speaker cabs from my experience is that unless you are 100% positively certain of the cab and speakers. you don't want to spend a fortune.

The reason why is if you don't like it it will be hard to sell because a) it will be used b) you spent a alot c) not really worth it and or inconveinence to ship etc. People aren't gonna pay 90 bucks shipping plus the 500 you want when the cab is 700 new. Just throwing out numbers for discussion.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by MatrixClaw
Totally disagree.

i pretty much agree with all of this.

mesa 2x12's have far fewer bass response problem than their 4x12 counterparts, and construction of both mesa and orange cabs is some of the best you'll find! VERY solid. but, for punchy, i say orange.

though... gotta say CS gets some pretty b.a. sounds out of mesa when tracking, but i think he's using 4x12?
Orange hands down. I'd like to run all orange cabs regardles sif i have an orange head or not on top of them.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?