That pickup would make a great neck pickup for smooth lead tones. Probably not much like slayer or pantera though. Through a crap amp it won't make much difference though.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
That amp is alright. If you want better metal tones for that amp I also recommend an OD and EQ pedal.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
I use a PAF Pro in the neck of my RGA121, it works great for leads in the neck position. great clarity

EDIT: more for solos, but not the slayer/pantera type you're looking for. I would get actives for those types of tones

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
That's the neck pickup in Dave Murray's signature Strat, isn't it?
You can get some awesome tones out of that, but I don't think it will cut it
for high-gain metal like Pantera, Slayer,... It's more used for classic rock, "classic" metal...
No.

What you want is a high output humbucker in the bridge - or an active one, if you decide to go that way - and a reasonably mid output bucker in the neck, like a Seymour Duncan '59.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The PAF 36th wouldnt be good at all for that really. The PAF Pro might, but there are still much better options.
the PAF model is not for the heavier style of metal but it does country and other genres that need a clean or a slight od.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
I've got a DiMarzio PAF in the neck position of my Epiphone Korina Explorer. I use it for my cleans and my bridge pickup for distortion. It's produces a great warm sounding clean tone. It doesn't sound too bad distorted either. It would work for Pantera's clean tone but not their distorted stuff.
Those are pretty vintagey pups. Best used for clean or overdriven sounds, classic rock kinda stuff IMO. You probably want something with higher output for metal.
If they are anything like my PAF pros then they'll do metal surprisingly well if you have a high gain amp. Because of the high gain, you don't need to push the preamp as much so the lower output of the PAF pro has the added benefit of clarity and a nice punch in the bottom end.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Actually, I suppose you could, I mean, Mark Morton (Lamb of God) uses Duncan '59s (PAF copies), and that's not exactly light metal.

I'd highly suggest a higher output pickup like a Duncan Distortion or a Dimarzio D-Sonic, but if you want go ahead and use the PAF 36th.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 9, 2009,
That could possibly work as a neck pickup option. But if you're playing music like that, you'll probably want a high output pickup like a Super Distortion or D Sonic in the bridge, and a mid-output pickup in the neck, like a PAF Pro.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff