how many of you know much about car systems? i am looking into maybe purchasing one around christmas. but i do not really know much about them. my truck does not have a whole lot of room so i was thinking probably just 1 sub (preferably a 12, with not a huge box) and i have no idea what size amp--or brands of subs or amps--to get to power it....

thanks!

hopefully some of you are more knowledgeable than I!
I'm not the most knowledgeable but from looking at amps and stuff for my car, the power ratings on amps and such are really sketchy. They are mostly measured at at max output not rms like guitar amps and a lot of times they don't tell you the impedance.

Moral of the story: triple check the power ratings to make sure everything matches.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
First thing you need to invest in is a decent Headunit. If you're planning to hook up a sub, you'll need at least one pair of RCA Pre-outs from it. Then you have to decude (if you are getting a sub) on whether to get active or passive. Just like active/passive speakers in a PA system, actives need powering from a seperate amplifier, while passives have their own power supply. Passives often get better results as you can customise them more, while actives are just easier to fit and require less work.

edit:
Quote by justinb904
I'm not the most knowledgeable but from looking at amps and stuff for my car, the power ratings on amps and such are really sketchy. They are mostly measured at at max output not rms like guitar amps

...Sure they do.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
One 12 inch sub will be enough to shake your rear-view mirror. It's more than enough unless you're completely nuts. A good 12 inch sub is a Rocksford-Fosgate Punch. Drop that into any ported box and you're set for that. I'm don't know very much about amps either so hopefully someone else will help you out with that. I do know an 800w amp will be more than enough, and that you won't need a capacitor. 8 guage power wire will be fine too. You can get 4 guage wire if you really want to, but there's no point unless you want to splurge.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II