I want an amp that I could get cranked tone with a decent amount of gain with at low enough volumes for home practicing or with a band (though I know those are two completely different volume levels). I tried the Blackstar HT-5 ministack and I was definitely impressed by the tone, but it doesn't seem nearly loud enough for jamming with a bassist with a 200 watt amp and maybe a drummer. I haven't tried it yet but the Bugera V22 seems appealing too. I'd like to be able to get good cleans with decent headroom and high-gain tones, but not uber-high gain. Not deathcore or anything like that. I could always go for a tube screamer or a distortion pedal though. Recommendations?
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
what i've heard of the v22 it doesnt seem to be able to do high gain at all
maybe the 1990 might be more appropriate?
but i think its also quite loud:/
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
I see.
A good modeling amp seems like a viable option too; my local GC has apparently some pretty cheap used Flextones. How do they compare?
Quote by Spitz13
Quote by superfish1232
what i've heard of the v22 it doesnt seem to be able to do high gain at all
maybe the 1990 might be more appropriate?
but i think its also quite loud:/

The 1990 is 100watts so yeah it gunna be loud

Do you have a preference of tube/ss?

Quote by Uranutan
I see.
A good modeling amp seems like a viable option too; my local GC has apparently some pretty cheap used Flextones. How do they compare?

A used Flextone would be worth looking into. My friend had one for a while and is sounded pretty good with plenty of gain to work with. Should be versatile enough for you too.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 9, 2009,
I don't care if it's tube, SS, or modeling, as long as it sounds good. But it seems like a modeling amp has the advantage of sounding good at any volume level so I wouldn't need to crank it for good tone. Any other good low-price modelers out there?
Quote by Spitz13
Peavey Vypyrs are better than the average and have good gain. If your GC still has one or two I'd definitely look into getting one of those Flextones. Personally I'd get a used one of those over a new Vypyr.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 9, 2009,
Yeah, my friend has a 15 watt Vypyr and while it is fun, it's not a very good amp. And I remember trying a 30 watt one and it was just loud as ****.
Quote by Spitz13
The Tube 60 sounds pretty different from the SS ones, apparently.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Fender Super Champ XD
Vox AC4TV
Line 6 Flextone
Fender Champ 600
Vox VT30

I can think of more, but these are the cheapest/most common amps in the price range that work well at low volumes that I know of at the moment.
A Tube 60 just sounds like it would be mindbendingly loud.
Also, I have a slightly-busted Super Champ XD as my current amp, but the solid state distortion (and the lack of a mids knob or an effects loop) doesn't sound very good at all to me.
Quote by Spitz13
I gave a Peavey Classic 30 combo a shot in a very noisy Guitar Center today and it sounded pretty damn good tone-wise, but it seemed to have this problem, similar to my SCDX, where the amp itself vibrates with the speaker and it makes a humming type noise. Was this just a freak one or is the Classic 30 particularly prone to problems?

Also, I suppose a Classic 30 with an overdrive or distortion pedal would get good high gain sounds, right?
Quote by Spitz13
SPIDER III

</topic>
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
How do you like that Egnater cab you have? I've been thinking of investing in a decent 1x12, 2x12 or a 4x12 or something so I could just buy different heads instead of combos. I also heard the Super Champ XD sounds awesome through an external cab.
Quote by Spitz13
Quote by Uranutan
I gave a Peavey Classic 30 combo a shot in a very noisy Guitar Center today and it sounded pretty damn good tone-wise, but it seemed to have this problem, similar to my SCDX, where the amp itself vibrates with the speaker and it makes a humming type noise. Was this just a freak one or is the Classic 30 particularly prone to problems?

Maybe it's just your magnetic personality ;-)

Seriously, though, the amps on the floor @ GC have a hard life, especially the tube amps. Also, GC is notorious for dirty power. But I wouldn't buy an amp off the floor there, even if they throw in an extended warranty. It won't be worth the hassle. They're also notorious for only stocking the floor models on many amps (even a lot of the cheap Marshalls).

Good luck.
I see.
Anyway, I'm realizing that I'm going to need a pretty loud amp. The Vypyr Tube 60 and Peavey 6505 112 both look tempting. Opinions?
Quote by Spitz13
The Vypyrs have great cleans (imo) the 6505 doesn't. The Vypyr's distortions are comparable to the 6505, too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Is there a major difference between the Tube 60 and the Tube 120 besides volume? The most volume I would need would just be a small church or auditorium gig.
Quote by Spitz13
New suggestion: Blackheart BH5. I own one, I play it in a college dorm with a cheap distortion pedal and it still does everything besides metal. Amazing cleans and very mod-able if you're a techie like me
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

My Green Frankenstrat Refinish

Hardest part of painting your guitar?
Convincing yourself that the over-sprayed areas and dust stuck in the finish add "character".
just played a V22 today. It should do what you want. try one. i thought the reverb pretty much sucked ass but otherwise i was very impressed. it slayed the haze combo in a side by side. plus is switches between triode and pentode, has a loop... bla bla bla.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Blackheart Handsome Devil since you can afford better than the Little Giant (not saying that the Little Giant is bad, just that the TS can afford one better than that).
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.