So today, I recieved my (used) Peavey 5150 in the mail. To my dismay, I opened it up and found that 2 of the 4 Sovtek tubes were out of place and shattered inside the head. So instead of replacing them with the same tubes, I figured I should look into some different ones. I'm a noob when it comes to tubes, so I turn to you.

I play an Ibanez S520EX with EMG's (81 in the bridge, 85 in the neck). I tune to Drop B and Drop A, and the sounds I'm trying to achieve are those like Miss May I, Belie My Burial, Veil of Maya, Mychildren Mybride, Sea of Treachery, and Suicide Silence. The cab I use is a cheap Ibanez 4x12, but I'm currently saving up and should be getting either a matching 5150 cab or a Marshall 1960a.

Any suggestions?

Oh, the four tubes were Sovtek 6L6WXT+
This is our last chance.
I'd get a matched JJ quad...

and as far as the cabinets go...definitely go for the Marshall instead of the Peavey cabinet.
I've had great luck with Svetlana/Winged C tubes.

For drop tunings I like the 5150 cab better than the Marshall, (after you make sure it stays screwed together) but my new Redstar Havok cab blows them both away.
Quote by eyebanez333
I'd get a matched JJ quad...

and as far as the cabinets go...definitely go for the Marshall instead of the Peavey cabinet.

Agree on both counts. JJs are good for rounding out the mids a little.
Quote by BobDetroit
I've had great luck with Svetlana/Winged C tubes.

For drop tunings I like the 5150 cab better than the Marshall, (after you make sure it stays screwed together) but my new Redstar Havok cab blows them both away.

Seriously? You bought one of these?

Wow...you should definitely review it!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I have a quad JJ set in my 5150, and they sound great.

+1 for the JJ's
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I put a matched quad of JJ's in mine, it sounds great.

As far as cabs go, I don't know what your budget is but the Mesa Rectifier oversized 4x12 sounds absolutely amazing. It has a lot more low end for those low tunings. I play in Drop B and everything sounds like pure sex.

EDIT: vader cabs sound great with 5150's too
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Nov 10, 2009,
another +1 on the JJ 6L6GC in the 5150
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Im putting an order in on Friday for a matched JJ quad for my 5150II. I also have to replace the V1 preamp tube, which has become microphonic. I had contemplated a gold pin ECC83S, but it's just too expensive for one preamp tube.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.