Hey can anyone tell me how good Emg 60s are for playing metal.
and if there are any better pickups on the market for a metal player.

Gear
Guitars
Epiphone SG G-400
IBANEZ S470DXQM

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30
Marshall MS-2 Micro Stack

Pedals
Zakk Wylde ZW 45 Cry Baby Wah
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
EMG 60 in the neck
EMG 81 in the bridge
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
buy the X version for a better clean and less sterile sound
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
IMO EMG's are overused in metal. Both Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio make several good pickups for metal.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I use the 60 in the neck and 81 in the bridge. The 60 is great for cleans, but not too good for metal....the 81 is a good pickup for that. So the 81/60 combo would be a good investment. As for your question "is there anything better"...that is a matter of opinion. The EMGs are great imo...but i haven't played enough pickups to know if there is anything better. But what i think is better is not what you think is better. I can tell you that the EMG's are good, but i can't tell you if there is anything "better." I hear the SD Blackouts are good, but i haven't tried them myself. If you get the EMG's, be sure to look into the 18V mod...the difference is small, but noticeable and helpful.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by justinb904
IMO EMG's are overused in metal. Both Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio make several good pickups for metal.

This. EMG's are in my opinion utter shit. They give you a terrible tone with zero versatility. There are so many better options (good passives, for example)

You can get a good passive hi-gain pickup from DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan for about $70 and they'll be far better than an EMG depending on the model.

Metallica was good before they got EMG's in their guitars. The modern metal scene is in the shitter for exactly the same reason.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Nov 9, 2009,
I'd rather have passives. Why? So I can start to hear the difference between a guitar routed for actives (takes away tone, ftl) and one routed solely for passives. I bet there's a difference.

On top of that, EMG's are compressed sounding. Sure, some people love them, and to be honest, the 60 is the least compressed souding EMG I've ever heard, next to that an 85.

I don't think I'll ever see an 85/60 combo because they're both mainly neck pickups, but it might not sound too bad...
Quote by VanTheKraut
This. EMG's are in my opinion utter shit. They give you a terrible tone with zero versatility. There are so many better options (good passives, for example)

You can get a good passive hi-gain pickup from DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan for about $70 and they'll be far better than an EMG depending on the model.

Metallica was good before they got EMG's in their guitars. The modern metal scene is in the shitter for exactly the same reason.

This coming from the guy with a Rammstein Avatar, who use EMG's like in all their guitars. NICE!!!

I have an EMG60X in the neck and a EMG81 in the bridge of my Les Paul
the 60 makes my cleans sing and the 81 is an awesome heavy metal music pickup
While I agree with the passive statement, if you're set on the EMG route, I recommend the 60 for the neck only. I'll go against the grain and say that I personally like the 85 in the bridge. Can't comment on the X-series.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
The 18v mod is supposed to make them sound less compressed, but I haven't heard a guitar with EMG's and the 18v mod...
Quote by VanTheKraut

PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by VanTheKraut

God for a second there I thought I was reading a post from 2 years ago

Also if you seriously think that there's no good metal out there then you can't have been looking very far.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Nov 9, 2009,
Quote by Sputnik1
This coming from the guy with a Rammstein Avatar, who use EMG's like in all their guitars. NICE!!!

I have an EMG60X in the neck and a EMG81 in the bridge of my Les Paul
the 60 makes my cleans sing and the 81 is an awesome heavy metal music pickup

So because I like a band i automatically must endorse all of their equipment? Thats like saying because I enjoy Motley Crue I must also enjoy Driving while intoxicated and crashing into people, causing paralysis and severe mental trauma. Cuz the Crue does it, and I like the Crue, so I must do it!

Quote by tommyt
Also if you seriously think that there's no good metal out there then you can't have been looking very far.

Didnt say theres no good metal, i said "the modern metal scene" as in modern metal as a whole. There are a few exceptions but metal as a whole after 1992 for the most part sucks. I strive to achieve a more "classic/Vintage" metal tone, from the golden days, so I dont use EMG's at all.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Nov 12, 2009,