Hello everyone, I am looking for a guitar that gives off grunge tones, also what amps, or distortion pedals would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
Grab a Fender Mustang or a Les paul.
Maybe an old boosted fender amp. Not sure what Cobain used, but Thayil used Mesas, Fenders, and Oranges.

EDIT: And you need a flanger and a chorus. Lost of flanger and chorus.
Thanks for the input, ill look into those. Right now the guitar i have is a stratocaster with humbucker pickup in the bridge, but its mexican, and the amp is a 5150; i keep trying different things to find the right sounding grunge tone but i just cant find it lol.
"Grunge" is pretty non-specific and subjective. If you really analyze the tones of the major grunge guitarists (Cobain, Thayil, Cantrell, McCready & Gossard) you'll find that they're all quite different. Kurt went for a buzzy punk type tone, Thayil was all-out sludge, Cantrell had a much tighter and more "metal" tone, and the PJ guys went for a mix of punky and classic rock-ish. It's difficult/impossible to generalize their tones besides saying that they played heavy rock music with distorted guitars. It's more about choosing the tone that works for you and writing in the style.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I think that guy has it right. I couldnt decide between telling you Nirvana, Soundgarden, or STP type tones. Or even Post grunge like Candle Box or Bush. any tones your looking at specifically?
Nirvana-era grunge, 95-00 grunge, or modern, post-grunge grunge?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I used to play grunge very recently, and my preferred settings were the neck pickup through a wah pedal (left halfway for a nasally tone). am is eq'd with bass at 3-o-clock, treble at about 1 to 2-o-clock, and the mids between 11 and 12-o-clock. keep presence low, and set your gain at around 2 to 3-o-clock.
The best Grunge guitarist didn't get their great tone from their equipment, it came from HOW they played.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by ToForgive
Thanks for the input, ill look into those. Right now the guitar i have is a stratocaster with humbucker pickup in the bridge, but its mexican, and the amp is a 5150; i keep trying different things to find the right sounding grunge tone but i just cant find it lol.

Man I wish I had a 5150 .
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
"Grunge" is pretty non-specific and subjective. If you really analyze the tones of the major grunge guitarists (Cobain, Thayil, Cantrell, McCready & Gossard) you'll find that they're all quite different. Kurt went for a buzzy punk type tone, Thayil was all-out sludge, Cantrell had a much tighter and more "metal" tone, and the PJ guys went for a mix of punky and classic rock-ish. It's difficult/impossible to generalize their tones besides saying that they played heavy rock music with distorted guitars. It's more about choosing the tone that works for you and writing in the style.

/Thread.
Quote by nickdohle
Grab a Fender Mustang or a Les paul.
Maybe an old boosted fender amp. Not sure what Cobain used, but Thayil used Mesas, Fenders, and Oranges.

EDIT: And you need a flanger and a chorus. Lost of flanger and chorus.

In the beginning, Thayil used an old Ampeg Bass amp with a knock off SG.

Cobain's rig had a Boss DS-2, a Tech 21 Sansamp Classic, EH Poly-Chorus, and an EH Small Clone, all of which ran into a Mesa Boogie Studio .22 Preamp, which ran into two Crest 4801 Power Amps, all of which ran into a set of 1960A/AC 4x12 Marshall Cabinets with either 25-watt Celestion Greenbacks or 30-watt Vintage speakers. Oh also, he used Roland Jazz Chorus amps for his clean sounds.
I'm judging by your picture that you want a Nirvana type tone. http://www.kurtsequipment.com/ this site has all the information on Kurt's gear. Very interesting and informative. I wish every guitar player had a site talking about all their gear.
Quote by unininium
most nirvana stuff used a DS-1 not a DS-2.

He used a DS-1 back in 1992, but by 1994, he had upgraded to the DS-2. Also replaced his crown power amp with the two Crest 4801's. In the early 90s, he only had a DS-1 and the Tech 21 Sansamp Classic. soon after he acquired the EH pedals and the Jazz Chorus amps.
He actually had used Mesa Mark III's live, the preamp was just in the studio.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
there's not really a specific tone for grunge. really you just gotta be lazy when it comes to the way you play, be delibirately sloppy, but not too sloppy, basically lol.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.