Poll: If you are good at something, is it arrogant to declare yourself as such?
Poll Options
View poll results: If you are good at something, is it arrogant to declare yourself as such?
Hellz Yeah
31 35%
Nay
34 38%
I'm drowning in a sea of indecision
24 27%
Voters: 89.
A friend of mine once declared himself to be the best classical pianist in the grade. Although many considered that to be an arrogant claim, if you'd ever heard him play, you would know that it's undeniably true.

This made me wonder, is it still arrogance if everyone knows that it's true? Is there any way you can firmly state that yuo are very good at something without being judged as full of yourself?

Do you have to excuse yourself beforehand and say "Not to be arrogant, but..." before making any such bold claim?

This is another one of those threads that has an obvious answer that has not occured to me. Opinions welcome.
It's arrogant and true. Arrogant because he didn't really know did he? And true because (presumably...) he was.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
its arrogance if you boldly state it with disregard for others

you don't have to announce that you're the best at something. you could just as easily say you've been playing/doing whatever for x amount of years or at least that you're pretty good/very good at something. saying you're the best is unnecessary arrogance
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Arrogance is more of an attitude. Certainly, he may be the best classical pianist in the grade, but if he's an overwhelming douche about it, that's being arrogant.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Claiming the be good, and being arrogant are two different things.

I will acknowledge to myself that I am good at guitar. Does that make me arrogant? No.
If I was to go around claiming I was the best and noone could touch my skill then I would be.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Last edited by Hellish_Wolf at Nov 9, 2009,
Arrogance is in manner, not what's actually said.
If you go around saying "I'm the best at <insert activity>, so f*ck you, peasant!", then that's arrogant.
If you said "I think I'm the best at <insert activity", during a conversation about who was best at it, might not be.
People always tell me I'm really good at guitar, I never take them seriously though, that would lead to arrogance,

I see it as that there is always room for improvement and that I could be alot better than I currently am
Arrogance is not always a bad thing. When combined with ignorance though it is a recipe for disaster.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Yeah its arrogant. Just because youve gotten good at something and put more time in than the others doesnt make you better. Also if youre better than show it, talking about it is arrogant and cocky.
He sounds pretty arrogant. If you're the best at something then that's great, but you should let that spread by word of mouth, rather than your own mouth.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
As said, it can be arrogant and true. A truth is a fact. Arrogance is how you handle the news of something- in this case, that fact. Arrogance is defined as an "overbearing pride or an offensive display of superiority."

Arrogance and confidence are not the same, and confidence can be exuded even through modesty or humility, I respect the humble musician more than the arrogant musician, but I respect the middle ground more- the person that has the confidence to say "I'm pretty good, this is what I can do." It isn't arrogant- it's simply stating where you know you are without slinking into a superiority complex. A person should be proud of their acheivements, but I don't think that anyone should deem themselves "the best" especially in something like music.
its arrogance and wrong. He might be the most technically proficient or have the most theory knowledge but that doesn't make him the best songwriter/performer.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
pride and arrogance are two different things.

It just depends on how you go about showing you are talented. If you're a little shit about it and want everyone to know because it validates you, then it's arrogance. if you've achieved something that you're very proud of, and want to show people, it's pride in your work.
Last edited by Azwethinkwedo at Nov 9, 2009,
As everyone has been saying, you can be arrogant but true.
But even if it is true, you can still be a dickhead that no one likes.
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
Its arrogant to claim you are the best at anything. Just say that you are pretty good.

Plus, now you are friends with the best penis in the grade!
Eh, I find it to be a jerk move...
But that's me.
KatehMonster
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Dude, if you were a lesbian asking out another lesbian in a man forum we would be going crazy too.
Quote by zerosystem
just because you're a girl and you get more pussy than me doesn't give you the right to brag.
There is no right way of doing it, really.

I can get equally annoyed with people who are obviously the best there is going "meh I'm alright"

JUST ADMIT IT ALREADY
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
There is no right way of doing it, really.

I can get equally annoyed with people who are obviously the best there is going "meh I'm alright"

JUST ADMIT IT ALREADY

yeah when i do that people shoot me evil looks. i'll tell people that i'm somewhat knowledgeable or proficient in whatever. i've never had anybody call me out on arrogance for being competent and/or proficient.
My english teacher said something about this:

He said people like you more if you are modest. For instance, if someone is popular and you tell them "Man, you are so popular" and they respond "Hell yeah, man its great", they will be liked less. If they respond "No man, I'm not really like that" people like them more.

EDIT: Reading back, this post is probably irrelevant.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

In my opinion, it's still arrogance. As long as you're not humble about it, it's arrogant. I mean, he could say "I play piano, I think I'm pretty good at it" and it would be fine, but declaring that he's the best in the grade (even though he might be) is arrogance.

And no, excusing yourself beforehand doesn't make it less arrogant.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by TechnoLp
its arrogance and wrong. He might be the most technically proficient or have the most theory knowledge but that doesn't make him the best songwriter/performer.

Well, he is by far the most technically accomplished. I don't think there is a contender for "first place", so to speak.

Also, songwriting ability isn't exactly the criteria by which to judge a classical pianist, but I see your point.
There is value in being modest and humble, but that is not to say you can not be confident or proud.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Quote by metalh3ad88
You should slap him with your pianist for being an arrogant prick.

Am I the only one who got this joke ?
If he were more modest, he'd earn more respect.

but how far does respect get you?
Quote by Albert Einstein
Nuh-uh. Nuh-uh. NUH-UH. NOPE. NO! NOPE! WRONG! NO! UR AN IDIOT! STFU! GTFO!

Quote by genghisgandhi
Eyebrows has no Whoopi Goldberg, for never is she surprised?