Well, i'm in a semi-band and we want to play hard rock. Our favorites our GNR, QOTSA, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam and some other stuff.

Whenever I just start soloing out of nowhere, it sounds very very southern/bluesy. I'm alright at blues stuff i guess. But what do i need to learn to make my solos more rock sounding?

My rhythm stuff has the same problem sorta, I'm fine with most chords but whenever i try and write a rock song i'm limited to just power chords. so everything i make sounds like a nirvana song.

I have know idea how to write anything resembling hard rock.
what Scales or rythm patterns or watever do i need to familiarize myself with to fix this problem?
make sure you know all the scales. Each one is used for a different style.

edit: Well, some sound a lot better than others in certain genres.
There be no shelter here.
Quote by herrotim
Well, i'm in a semi-band and we want to play hard rock. Our favorites our GNR, QOTSA, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam and some other stuff.

Whenever I just start soloing out of nowhere, it sounds very very southern/bluesy. I'm alright at blues stuff i guess. But what do i need to learn to make my solos more rock sounding?

Listen to and learn some rock sounding solos. Do alot of this. Memorize the solos, play and enjoy them regularly.

Quote by herrotim

My rhythm stuff has the same problem sorta, I'm fine with most chords but whenever i try and write a rock song i'm limited to just power chords. so everything i make sounds like a nirvana song.

I have know idea how to write anything resembling hard rock.
what Scales or rythm patterns or watever do i need to familiarize myself with to fix this problem?

Learn riffs/songs.

learn music......develop your skills...... THEN get creative and write your own.

in summary:

If you're trying to write music, and you find that you have no idea how....... it's because you lack the necessary experience. How do you get that experience? Listen to, learn , play, study, and enjoy playing music on your guitar. Be patient, it takes time.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 9, 2009,