So I just wanted everyone's opinion on playing in more than one band. I am playing drums and right now have 3 "bands" I jam with my friend who plays guitar about once a week and have been for about 2 years, occasionally we have a bass player too. I also am trying to start a band at university with other people, a very different style than what I am playing with my friend. I am also going to be playing with an established gigging band soon. I usually never miss any practices and don't let my bands get in the way of each other. None of the bands really know I am playing with the others. I told my friend and he seemed upset, like I was leaving him.
yea its cool
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
It depends on how far you want them to go. If they're both just for fun, or jamming, then there's no problem on either side. If one band is just for fun, and the other is more serious, then as long as the "fun" band knows that, it's okay.

If they are supposed to be more serious...then you can't devote your time the same way.

That's my opinion, anyway.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Nov 9, 2009,
As long as you pay equal attention to those 3, its okay. And if you don't push everyone into a competition against each other.

BEDIT: also, inform everyone else before you make decisions and whatever.
Last edited by batiboy06 at Nov 9, 2009,
I find it annoying because I like to spend a lot of time with my bandmates. I would never want to be a "once-a-week" band.
Quote by Zombie V.
I find it annoying because I like to spend a lot of time with my bandmates. I would never want to be a "once-a-week" band.

Dude, most bands are "once-a-week" bands. They work because the bandmembers put in equal time away from the band than together.

It's just fine to be in a couple of bands, it increases your chances of getting more gigs and exploring different genres. Your friend shouldn't care that you play with other people too - it's a band, not a marriage.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by TNA
So I just wanted everyone's opinion on playing in more than one band. I am playing drums and right now have 3 "bands" I jam with my friend who plays guitar about once a week and have been for about 2 years, occasionally we have a bass player too. I also am trying to start a band at university with other people, a very different style than what I am playing with my friend. I am also going to be playing with an established gigging band soon. I usually never miss any practices and don't let my bands get in the way of each other.
That's the key. As long as you do that, no one has a reason to complain.

Quote by TNA
None of the bands really know I am playing with the others. I told my friend and he seemed upset, like I was leaving him.
Tell your friend to stop being such a girl.

... or send him flowers and chocolates. Whatever you think best.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Zombie V.

It's difficult to practice more than once a week because we practice by his house and it takes a while to get there, and I have school and other things during the week. I'm sure for many people once or twice a week is all they can fit in their schedule.
Tell your mates in a nice way that doesn't make them feel put-out.

Too many bands will get in the way of eachother, and by telling people you have side projects, you're also testing how much they want you and how much faith they have in you.

Really, all band members need full faith in each other for WHATEVER they say they're gonna do. If you can fulfill that, then there should be no worries.
If you start gigging alot with two different bands you are eventually going to have scheduling issues and have to decide what your priorities are. It's happening in my band at the moment, our drummer plays for another gigging band but if both bands have a gig on the same night we take priority and his other band knows this and are cool with it and have a backup drummer for such occaisions. If he misses a practise (usually on a Friday night) due to a gig he always sets another night aside that's good for everyone so we can catch up.
So as long as you're not screwing anyone around and everyone knows what's up and is cool with it, it shouldn't be an issue.