Im looking to use windows 7, but i want to load it on a small partition on my harddrive as i may need xp for some programs.

I already had a partition on my harddrive but i want to make a small one just for windows 7 as i dont have space on my external hdd to put all my data on it. Firstly how do i put on an additional partition on my hard drive. Secondly how do i install windows 7 onto the partition? Lastly do i have to format the partition once created?
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Nov 9, 2009,
That's a whole bunch of questions that would be fitting for....

Wait for it...

The COMPUTER THREAD.

EDIT: seeing as you just joined, I'm gonna cut you some slack. Before trying to fuck with your computer make sure that your machine can even handle Windows 7.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Nov 9, 2009,
Quote by itchy guitar
Before trying to fuck with your computer make sure that your machine can even handle Windows 7.

My pc is 6 months old and is 64bit compatable (im on xp64 just now)
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
My pc is 6 months old and is 64bit compatable (im on xp64 just now)

Cool. Did you get W7 legitimately or did you download it? If you downloaded it, make sure you are able to get the appropriate drivers.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
You may aswell stick with XP for now..

There's a few creases in Windows 7 that still need smoothing (mostly compatability issues).
Unless there's some new software out there that I'm not aware of (which by the way is entirely possible, I don't exactly keep up with disk partitioning software), I believe that in order to repartition a disk you have to completely erase everything on it. So you'd have to reformat and reinstall XP and then 7.

I could just be living in the past though, I haven't set up a dual-boot in a long time.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Pretty sure Windows 7 has a built in Windows XP, maybe that's just the business version?
Quote by itchy guitar
Cool. Did you get W7 legitimately or did you download it? If you downloaded it, make sure you are able to get the appropriate drivers.

no i got it illegally. microshaft ****ed me over with my xbox so i refuse to pay for it.
just partition your hd as normal and then where you left space to install your windows 7 (which i assume you burnt onto a dvd) choose boot from dvd an install the os on the new partition, just if your gonna run games etc on it, just make sure to make the partition large enough to install them etc...
You can partition a harddrive without the need to format the drive.. there's plenty software to do that plus windows xp has in integrated already...
And windows 7 has an externel downloadable app made by microsoft, which emulates windows xp so you can open your non-compatible aplications without having to make dual-boot (no, it's not the compatibility tab under proprieties... its a whole software)
Quote by deucedeucemr2
My knight in shining armor.

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King