I know this probably sounds stupid, but I am fairly new at electric guitar(i played acoustic before) so my question is, what exactly is a footswitch?
Usually a footswitch is a little switch that comes with your amp. You attach it with a cable to the amp. It turns something on or off on the amp, changing the sound of your guitar. This is often to change from a clean channel to an overdriven or distorted channel or to turn a guitar sound effect (like echo or reverb) on or off.

Hope this helps. Everyone has to start someplace.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by XtwoheadedboyX
can all amps use one? does it do any thing to pedals?

Only amps designed to accept a footswitch can use them, and usually they can only use the one that was designed for it.

It doesn't really affect the pedals, other than changing the amp settings, which of course will make the pedals sound different through the amp.
Some pedals can use a seperate footswitch to change them the way you'd change sounds on your amp. The Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion can use a seperate footswitch to turn the Turbo mode on or off. I kick it on only for solos. It gives me a nice midrange boost and a bit of a jump in volume and overall gain.

EDIT: Yes of course you could do it by hand, but if you need to go from clean to dirty very quickly in order to play a song properly for eg. enjoyable practicing, or gigging of any kind, you'll need to be able to do it without wlking up to your amp and physically turning the knobs. That's why you use your feet (FOOTswitch)... so your hands are free to keep playing the guitar.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Last edited by gerardwayne at Nov 9, 2009,
Quote by Rutch
and usually they can only use the one that was designed for it.

Actually, this is more the case of amp that requires more "specialized" footswitches like 4 buttons ones. But all one button footswitches will work with all amp using a single button footswitch.
Quote by XtwoheadedboyX
but when you turn it on what does it sound like

Ok. Go on youtube and type in Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit. Listen to the first 30 seconds. See how it sounds all clean and light for the first bit but then gets really heavy and distorted just when the drums join in? That's because he used a footswitch (in the form of a distortion pedal) to change the sound of the guitar. Later on he uses another different footswitch (a chorus pedal) on the guitar solo section in order to make theguitar sound all wobbly and cool. Footswitches do different things. You can't ask what it sounds like when you turn it on because it's different for every application. Usually, a footwsitch changes the sound of some aspect of the guitar's tone whether it be how clean or dirty it is, or how an effect is applied to enrich or colour the overall sound.
Gear:

No prob.
Gear: