What are you expected to know?

Has anyone advertised for their band in the street press (or whatever) and got someone who they thought was a complete douche because he/she didn't know the complete Am scale or something like that?

How do you not be that douche?
Well, when you only say "Lead guitarist wanted" you could give a monkey a guitar and call him lead guitarist.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
i'll give you a tip don't stay out drinking till 3 the night before and then turn up hung over i still don't beleive my band said yes to me after that audition
_____
MUSE
Quote by protest000
Quote by gillehy
Anyone agree there or am i on my own?
+
Well if they put an ad for a Lead guitarist, I would assume they would want a guitarist that knows enough theory to write good solos.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Do what they ask you to do.

Simple.

And if you cant then you're obviously not fit for their band.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Do what they ask you to do.

Simple.

And if you cant then you're obviously not fit for their band.

It only took 7 replies to get the right answer. good job valennic.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by itchy guitar
It only took 7 replies to get the right answer. good job valennic.

Fairly simple logic I thought

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Well, I am someone who is hoping to be a lead guitarist someday. I would say the best things to know are the pentatonic, major and minor scales, some common chord progressions, and some techniques like alternate picking, tapping, vibratos, etc.

Whatever band you join will more than likely be willing to teach you the things you don't know. Also, you should learn rhythm guitar as well.

As long as you know some common scales and can pull off some cool riffs, you won't pass off as a douche.

Hope that helped a little.
Quote by theAccursed
What are you expected to know?

Has anyone advertised for their band in the street press (or whatever) and got someone who they thought was a complete douche because he/she didn't know the complete Am scale or something like that?

How do you not be that douche?

Most bands are content with some douche with an MG or a Spider who plays generic pentatonic licks and hardly knows any chords, so dont worry.
Go in there and SHRED... if they ask you to do something... SHRED more. If they tell you to GTFO... Turn your amp up and SHRED more
Uh, be able to play lead guitar. Know your shit. Duh.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I would never respond to a "guitarist wanted for band" advertisement without a specific list of the band's influences beforehand. I would only want to play with a group of people who have similar influences to me so we could play some covers that we already know. It would be hard for me to just make it work with some people that have totally different musical tastes than I do.
Fair enough (I should have emphasised the "...or something like that") , but does this belong in 'Musician Talk', 'Classifieds' or 'Guitar Techniques'?