My band is going to start recording a demo soon, so I was wondering if anybody had good mixing tips. My band plays heavy/thrash metal, a very old-school metal style
Double track (or double record and overlay if you can).
Also really try to get the best recording you can, don't just think you can fix it with mastering.

^ and yes put maybe a slight reverb on some tracks.
A few things to consider:

Giving different instruments/sounds in your mix its own space, using EQ etc to sperate the sounds. For example the bass fills a whole that the other instruments leave open, etc.

Reverb, compression and EQ are three very important plugins to learn (as well as many others, but these three are very helpful). Just remember that you need to use moderation and simply using presets is not the best idea. There are so many tutorials online that can help you with the basics.

Multitracking is a great tool, especially when you say, record a vocal three times, one center (the main track) then two more, one to the left, one panned to the right, lessen the volume on the multitracked takes and a touch of reverb as an example.

Just be careful with any effects, sometimes what makes one part of your mix sound good, makes the rest sound awful, getting everything working together is the tricky part.

Listen to mixes in your genre and work out what makes them stand out, sound good. The more time you spend with things like EQ etc the more you'll start to hear what frequencies are good and bad for your purposes. To start with there are some good tutorials and guides for EQ that will get you going.

Make sure you get everything clean as tenfold said, the cleaner the source, the easier it is to fix up. If you have any hissing sounds or wierd pops and clicks it makes the rest of the process difficult. One of the advantages of home recording and mastering is you can spend as much time as you want on your tracks without worrying about studio fees, so it's great for demos etc.

For mastering, if you don't have any experience with that, try a plugin like Izotope OZone, which can be applied to your master track. There's a great guide that comes with it on their site, and this plugin is pretty decent. Can really bring your mixes to life if you spend some time learning to use it. I highly recommend looking into this. If you have the budget I'd get someone else to do your mastering for you, but it depends what your situation is, and your target.

Anyway those are a few things off the top of my head...goodluck
Last edited by ChrisBG at Nov 9, 2009,
Very important: Get a fresh set of ears every once in a while to listen to your mix and give you honest criticism. Here's what I mean about that.

Also check out these other 2 very helpful videos:
Mastering Secret #36: The Exponential Effect - SoundOps Mastering Studio.
Mastering Secret #29: Rhythm Insurance - SoundOps Mastering Studio.
How To Do Your Own Audio Mastering - part 1.
Last edited by tenfold at Nov 9, 2009,