So, Im trying to learn some theory, and Im hearing to learn the key of C first, so Im guessing they are saying, learn the keys individually. Ive always been under the impression that you just learn the shapes (and Ive heard people against shapes) Is this the right path? Is it best to learn and become comfortable with each key? And how should I go about doing this? Im really trying to learn composition and improvisation.
Quote by AlskiOverload
Im hearing to learn the key of C first, so Im guessing they are saying, learn the keys individually.

I start my students off on G. It gives them something they need to remember (the F#) and they tend to like the feeling of going up to high G :P
I don't think it REALLY matters too much what key you start off with, just do one of the simple ones.

Quote by AlskiOverload

Ive always been under the impression that you just learn the shapes (and Ive heard people against shapes) Is this the right path? Is it best to learn and become comfortable with each key?

I think the best way to learn about keys is to first (tedious bit bit) memorise the simplest key signatures.
C: No sharps or flats
G: F#
D: F#, C#
A: F#, C#, G#
F: Bb
Bb: Bb, Eb
Eb: Bb, Eb, Ab

Quote by AlskiOverload

And how should I go about doing this? Im really trying to learn composition and improvisation.

Then work out I, IV, V chord progressions for each and start to solo over them. Be good at soloing over them in first position, or fifth or something BEFORE you learn the scale shapes. It'll be hard and frustrating, but seriously. Don't learn the scale shapes until you know what you're doing.
Quote by qwertyuiop8642
look up the circle of fifths and learn every note on the fretboard

I personally didn't know about the circle of fifths until a few years ago (10 years after I started music) so I don't think it's compulsory, but may be a good idea.
Last edited by mdwallin at Nov 10, 2009,