Hi, I've been praticing Free bird and I can play the rhythm guitar fairly good but today Im trying to play the acoustic guitar to improve my chord switching skill.

The point is that there are F Major chords in the tab and I cant play them

It seems impossible to me, even if I do it slowly, I just cant place them correctly!
Im so desperate, its driving me crazy
its soooooo hard

P.s: its my first week playing guitar, so guys, please dont flame me

would somebody post a photo of you placing your fingers correctly on the fretboard?
or any tips?

thank you
Last edited by geaton at Nov 9, 2009,
I know how the chord is constructed but I cant do it
PHYSICALLY i cant

so if any of you guys also had problems with F major
please help me :S
It just takes practice to be able to barre the first fret properly. That is simply, to place your index finger across the first fret of all 6 strings. You need to build strength. It'll take you more than a week, but it WILL come in time

If you want a "dummy" version of F Major, you can play XX3211. It's still technically an F Major chord, but it won't sound as full as the barre chord, which is 113211
Quote by sporkman7
so what wierd things can u guys do? no not like laser vision or meat vision or something, but like random stuff that usually comes in handy
Use your index to press down the first fret on BOTH the high E (BOTTOM) and the B (2nd from BOTTOM) strings. Just bar your finger across them both. Then take your middle finger, and place it on the second fret of the G String (3rd FROM BOTTOM). Then, take your ring finger, and place it on the 3rd fret of the D string (4th FROM BOTTOM). then strum JUST THOSE FOUR STRINGS

and there you have it

EDIT: or look above me for the bar chord if you want a richer, fuller sound. It is more difficult though. Keep that in mind
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Last edited by ratracekid111 at Nov 9, 2009,
I've been playing guitar for 4 years and can play them like it's nothing but when I first started I couldn't play a F chord to same my life. The only way to get better at it is to practice practice practice and if you have a little extra time more practice. You'll get there, just keep at it. I was several months in before I mastered the F chord.

also here is a quick, easy and valuable resource for beginners: Chord Finder
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 9, 2009,
"P.s: its my first week playing guitar, so guys, please dont flame me"

Stopped reading there. It takes time to learn guitar. Just keep at it. You'll get it down if you stick with it man. Don't stress about it. Barre chords also are that easy to learn right at the beginning. Maybe wait until you have all the other basic chord shapes down perfectly. It will become second nature to switch to this chord, like other chords, as time goes by. You won't need to think about it because it will become muscle memory. Just keep at it!
thank you everbody but I think some of you have misunderstood
im not worrying about switching quickly to the F major chord
im worrying 'cause i cant place my fingers properly
they just seem not to fit
they slip away
they move
my index finger doesnt flat at all

oh my god i think im gonna give up
Last edited by geaton at Nov 9, 2009,
Quote by geaton
thank you everbody but I think some of you have misunderstood
im not worrying about switching quickly to the F major chord
im worrying 'cause i cant place my fingers properly
they just seem not to fit
they slip away
they move
my index finger doesnt flat at all

oh my god i think im gonna give up
Guitar takes perseverance. You're not gonna nail barre chords in a week. Keep at it man. Don't give up.

I think the picture posted earlier should help though.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea