I play mostly electric guitar but would like to get a decent acoustic (acoustic-electric if I could afford it). I was trying to stay in the $500 range. I like the "thinner" 000 body style.

I tried the Martin 000X1 and really liked it for sound and comfort level. Reading reviews and postings here - it seems like people love them or hate them. I also tried an Alvarez AF60K - it acoustic/electric for under $400 but is all laminate.

I'm going to try a Seagull Entourage if I can locate one and also was told to check out the Blueridge 143 (this is a bit on the high end of $650)

Any other suggestions for a similar sized guitar? Since some of the guitar manufacturers don't use the 000 designation, I'm not sure of the comparable size.

Mike
Last edited by blueshadow_33 at Nov 9, 2009,
(pardon the thread hijack)

Mr. Shred off, do you know any stores in the CT that carry Blueridge guitars? No where in my corner of the state retails them, but I do head up to the Winsted/Torrington area every now and then because my fiancee is from there...are there any stores up that direction?

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
(pardon the thread hijack)

Mr. Shred off, do you know any stores in the CT that carry Blueridge guitars? No where in my corner of the state retails them, but I do head up to the Winsted/Torrington area every now and then because my fiancee is from there...are there any stores up that direction?

Aside from the Manchester Guitar Center, none that I know of, and even there it's hit or miss. Sometimes they'll have 20 models, sometimes none. It's a damn shame too because they're really friggin' good. I think the vast majority of Blueridge's business is done online.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Nov 10, 2009,
Spent A LOT of time at the guitar center (y'know, when i should have been studying at the UC), but I'm not sure I ever really ran into Blue Ridge guitars. Might have also been because I was playing the lovely selection of $2000 + taylors and breedloves, haha.

Gear:
Quote by roamingbard13
Spent A LOT of time at the guitar center (y'know, when i should have been studying at the UC), but I'm not sure I ever really ran into Blue Ridge guitars. Might have also been because I was playing the lovely selection of $2000 + taylors and breedloves, haha.

I've only seen them there within the past year or so. Mostly used models too, I believe. They kept them hidden out among the not-so-fancy acoustics.
That could explain it, then. I've been there once in the past year, and I spent all of my time playing the taylors and breedloves the New London Guitar Center does not get. If I'm up there again soon, I'll scour a little bit better. Thanks for the tip.

Gear:
i've never seen a blueridge at any gc here in california but i see they do carry them online. i've only seen them at one of our best local stores, and they are pretty well made and sound very good.

folk guitars are similar to the size you're looking for. the seagull coastline cedar folk is a nice guitar, and the acoustic electric version is just a few bucks over your price range
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Coastline-Cedar-Folk-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-516931-i1391547.gc

and if a folk size works for you, you could always get a yamaha fg720s and add electronics.
BR 143 is great.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
When I went to demo the Blueridge today, I also tried a Morgan Monroe guitar that was great to play. Compared to the BR143, you sacrifice the wood sides and back but pick up the advantage of an acoustic-electric.

http://www.morganmonroe.com/Creekside-MVEC01C_0ade2b11302d5f.html

I couldn't find any reviews of this model let alone many reviews of Morgan Monroe. Any thoughts about M-M or this guitar specifically?
i wouldn't give up a solid back and sides for electronics - the blueridge smaller guitars i played sounded very good. you can always add electronics cheaply later.

Quote by blueshadow_33
When I went to demo the Blueridge today, I also tried a Morgan Monroe guitar that was great to play. Compared to the BR143, you sacrifice the wood sides and back but pick up the advantage of an acoustic-electric.

http://www.morganmonroe.com/Creekside-MVEC01C_0ade2b11302d5f.html

I couldn't find any reviews of this model let alone many reviews of Morgan Monroe. Any thoughts about M-M or this guitar specifically?
I've seen these Silver Creek guitars advertised...never tried one, but OMG the prices they're asking for an ALL SOLID acoustic are not to be believed. The one I've linked to below is a spruce/ mahogany version, but they also have Indian rosewood back & sides for not a whole lot more. I don't know how the fck they do it!

I've never played one of these, but the price for an all-solid axe demands that you try one out. If you need a pick-up, you can always add a K&K Pure Western for another $87.00 or thereabouts. Also, for that price its easy to rationalize taking it in for a thorough set-up if needed.

BTW, the Blueridge guitars are OK, but only just. I tried one out and almost bought it until I tried a Larrivee that was only $200 more...I bought the Larrivee.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Silver-Creek-All-Solid-SpruceMahogany-OOO-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512727
there's a thread on agf right now about how disappointed a lot of people were with the sound of their silver creeks. some weren't disappointed, but as they pointed out,. they hadn't expected much. you might want to check it out.

btw, there are some laminate back and side guitars that sound better than masterbilt all solid ones - probably better bracing and lighter finish or something.

Quote by maxtheaxe
I've seen these Silver Creek guitars advertised...never tried one, but OMG the prices they're asking for an ALL SOLID acoustic are not to be believed. The one I've linked to below is a spruce/ mahogany version, but they also have Indian rosewood back & sides for not a whole lot more. I don't know how the fck they do it!

I've never played one of these, but the price for an all-solid axe demands that you try one out. If you need a pick-up, you can always add a K&K Pure Western for another $87.00 or thereabouts. Also, for that price its easy to rationalize taking it in for a thorough set-up if needed.

BTW, the Blueridge guitars are OK, but only just. I tried one out and almost bought it until I tried a Larrivee that was only $200 more...I bought the Larrivee.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Silver-Creek-All-Solid-SpruceMahogany-OOO-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512727