im looking for an amp for cleans. i really like betwene the buried and me's clean tone. its really thick and distinct. ive heard they use jazz choruses? maybe. anyone have suggestions for an amp like this. i like to play jazzy stuff and post rock stuff.

a good example is the song mirrors by btbam
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Bassman
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Blues Deluxe
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Budda Superdrive
Bugera V55
Peavey Valveking with mods
Any Sunn head
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Indeed. Fender amps are the best bet for cleans. Doesn't mean others don't do it well too, but a Fender is pretty much a guarantee.
ok so im pretty much an00b on cleans haha. ive always been the type of guy to just dial in a usable sound and go with it. im pretty sure i can find a cheap used fender hot rod around here somewhere. how much better are the cleans gonna be on something like a bassman or twin?

and since it wasnt mentioned, what about the jazz chrous? im not trying to make one of those threads where i just justify the once amp i want lol, just want to know more about it and why the others beat it.
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Jazz Choruses (in my humble opinion, of course) are good at being one thing: clean. I've always found them boring and lifeless and sterile and etc.

I'd go with a Fender Bassman. When "deep" and "clean" are the descriptors, that's the way to go.
ill definitely take a look at a bassman then. and all the other suggestions, by the way. haha.

i just really like the sound of my 5150 for distortion, and i like it so much better than my stiletto. and the cleans on the stiletto are good, but just not quite what im looking for. so im trying to find something that does cleans really good and thats it. anything else is bonus

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
you might want to get a tubescreamer if you don't already own one. the bassman has no distortion knob, just natural breakup.
Mesa Lonestar. AMAZING cleans.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The only fender you should be looking at for this is the bassman, all of the others fail miserably at the cleans you're talking about.

AC30 should be good for it, with the right pedals, but you won't have much headroom.

Alternately, try cheaper trainwreck clones.
Quote by Plexi81
The only fender you should be looking at for this is the bassman, all of the others fail miserably at the cleans you're talking about.

AC30 should be good for it, with the right pedals, but you won't have much headroom.

I think other tweeds will do just fine as well, maybe a tweed twin, otherwise I agree, BF and SF Fenders are neither deep or rich sounding.
You're right on the tweeds (except tweed twin is what I'd be going away from, it can still be quite sparkly), it's just that the bassman has that jazz chorus fullness he's talking about, possibly because it was designed for basses in the first place. The 59 plexis are supposed to copy the circuit anyway, so maybe a ceriatone with a tweed 2 by twelve cab would do the trick.
Quote by Plexi81

+1

I could not agree any more, although the AC30 should have enough headroom.

*Also, Fender Blues Deluxe.
Last edited by dudey5691 at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by Plexi81
You're right on the tweeds (except tweed twin is what I'd be going away from, it can still be quite sparkly), it's just that the bassman has that jazz chorus fullness he's talking about, possibly because it was designed for basses in the first place. The 59 plexis are supposed to copy the circuit anyway, so maybe a ceriatone with a tweed 2 by twelve cab would do the trick.
The tweed twin is not really any more sparkly than a Bassman, it just doesn't ahve the huge boomy bass that a Bassman can have. The tweed Bassman has more BF character to my ears thn the twin does.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 10, 2009,
The Blackstar Artisan amplifiers have spectacular cleans. Unfortunately, they just instituted a serious price hike. But if money isn't a problem, you'll love the Artisans.
Fender Bassman, no questions asked.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
ok so i know this thread is old, but i am back in this situation again and figured i would continue here instead of making a new thread. i am definitely looking for a bassman, but does it matter which kind? ive seen blackface and silverface bassmen, ive seen discussions about all the different circuitry differences in bassmen, the tweed vs. blonde vs. whatever, it just gets really confusing. haha. halp?

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yes, there are differences since the Bassman goes back a very long way. The older the amplifier, the more varied the differences because you are talking about antiquated caps and transformers, etc. You are also talking about a very sought-after vintage amplifier. Be ready to spend some serious bucks.

You can usually get a silverface Bassman for a reasonable price and they are fine amplifiers. Remember that the Bassman became legendary because it sounds great when cranked. You were originally looking for a clean amplifier. Unless you are going to play at coffeehouse volumes, a Bassman might not deliver the tones you want.

If you are still looking for a clean amp, try the Blackstar Artisan series or the Fender Twin Reverb. They both rule the roost as far as great clean tones go, IMHO.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Raijouta
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Bassman
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Blues Deluxe
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Budda Superdrive
Bugera V55
Peavey Valveking with mods
Any Sunn head

+1 except few Fenders have a really deep or thick clean sound. In this case i would look into the Sunn heads though, the Solaris in particular has the biggest sonic depth i've heard in a clean. TS, if i get what your talking about, i think you want a Sunn.

Youtube it

EDIT: Silverface Fenders work well for this too
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Last edited by TOMMYB22 at Jan 7, 2011,
Quote by LaidBack
Mesa Lonestar. AMAZING cleans.

Holy balls, yes. This amp has beautiful cleans and a damn good OD too. I've vowed that I will not buy another amp until I pick this up.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by Darkflame
I got both a bassman and a twin, and if you want deepness, bassman > twin
twin = bright as hell

do you have clips of both?

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
do you have clips of both?

mmh good question haha
no actually I don't =( I'll do that today if you want =) an a/b comparison or one at the left one at the right or something..

edit again :
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7832037/pawn/4.mp3
the clean bits in this song are from the bassman IIRC

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7832037/pawn/11.mp3
I don't remember if this is the twin or the bassman on clean, it's one of the two.. sounds like the bassman to my ears, I'll try to record something with the twin =p don't use it much

I wrote these songs a while ago as part of a new musical project I had, and in the end I didn't keep them, I took the #11's chorus' and put it in a new song though, cuz it's pretty epic to play that on a single guitar hehe

these are very raw recordings by the way, it'd sound better if it was recorded for an EP/demo/anything
Last edited by Darkflame at Jan 7, 2011,