Page 1 of 3
So pit, do you have any guitarists who you find particularly difficult to copy?
I don't mean people who play way beyond your technical ability, just guitarists whose particular nuances you find difficult to pin down.
I always struggle playing Dave Mustaine's solos; his note choice is so different to what I would play, and he does some bizarre stretches.
Up The Boro!
Andy Timmons. It's the little things that matter in his songs.
Last edited by MicahChaney at Nov 9, 2009,
Thomas Erak.

...had to say it
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
I can't play any of Robert Smith's solos. His chord progressions are comfortable though.
muhammed suicmez, from necrophagist
Self proclaimed prophets are great people...
Jimmy Page. I know a lot of his solos are pentatonic stuff, but some of his songs have some really crazy chords that I'd never normally play.
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
John friggin' Petrucci
The man is a beast, but goodluck learning his stuff.

/thread?
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Both the guys from Dark Tranquillity. I have never in my whole year ( ) of playing been able to successfully complete a DT song at full tempo.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Joe Satriani

I look at some of thir tabs and a little piece of me dies.
Quote by St. Angry
youre right. i just checked the dvd i have agian and it is in D standard. i dont think Metallica has ever done a song in drop D, or drop C for that matter.

^Check his username again
Quote by WaltzingArmy
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Joe Satriani

I look at some of thir tabs and a little piece of me dies.

Some of his string skipping licks absolutely blow my mind. Paul Gilbert is inhuman.
Some Jimi Hendrix songs. Not so much the solo's but the way he does some of his rhythm part is hard for me.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by GODhimself37
Thomas Erak.

...had to say it
Ironically, I play his stuff better than a lot of simple stuff because my playing style is kinda similar...

On that note, Matt Bellamy. I don't know why, but for some reason, his style is really awkward for me.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Santana.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
You know, actually, you may not think it so much, but I've actually found it really hard to emulate Michael Akerfeldt's soloing style (he's from Opeth)
It's not so much that they're outrageously techincally challenging, but he has a real grace that only comes with having played the guitar for many many years and being very comfortable with it, like it was natural from the day he was born.
Elliot Easton from The Cars. I mean I can play his solos just fine, just the way he plays them are so weird. He doesn't think linear like 99% of all guitarists, he's just weird about his note selection.
Last edited by wizards? at Nov 9, 2009,
Quote by Zep_shizzle
Jason Becker.

This.

I tried learning Altitudes, but the sweeps were kicking my ass. I gave up.
Agree with people who said Thomas Erak. His style is kinda loose but real exact at the same time and I struggle to nail his style.
The guys from Darkest Hour do some pretty nasty rhythm sections that blend fast alternate string skipping picking with sweeping.

And anything Christ Storey does from All Shall Perish, general blows my balls apart. **** that guy.
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
Last edited by AstheticsOfHate at Nov 9, 2009,
Paul Waggoner.

So this is basically the "name really technical guitarists" thread?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Paul Waggoner.

nah, Matt Bellamy and Thomas Erak aren't very technical, just a very unique style.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Paul Waggoner.

It wasn't supposed to be, it just seems a lot of people replied without reading the OP.
Up The Boro!
Marty Friedman. That guy always comes up with something new that I have no idea how to play
Quote by Fenderhippie69
Some Jimi Hendrix songs. Not so much the solo's but the way he does some of his rhythm part is hard for me.

I have to agree.

I'm usually pretty good with rhythm, but when attempting his stuff, he never fails to blow my mind, and make me weep in defeat.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Marty Friedman and Alex Lifeson too.. weird stuff.
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
Quote by wizards?
Elliot Easton from The Cars. I mean I can play his solos just fine, just the way he plays them are so weird. He doesn't think linear like 99% of all guitarists, he's just weird about his note selection.

Another Cars fan? I never thought I would see the day.
a lot of jazz guitarists can be pretty hard to emulate
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by Ferrets!
Ironically, I play his stuff better than a lot of simple stuff because my playing style is kinda similar...

On that note, Matt Bellamy. I don't know why, but for some reason, his style is really awkward for me.

Same. I guess since he's my inspiration and i started playing because of him his legato style comes easy to me
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
john petrucci, but also Michael Romeo. Romeo uses scales ive never even heard of. He just makes them up on the spot based around two notes. he made up some scale just using C and F# and just improved a scale over it and made it sound awesome
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Page 1 of 3