I would really like to have a mess around with this, I'm not a big country fan but I think this would be a really cool skill to have. Any suggestions on how or where to start? Youtube videos and such?
Check out Danny Gatton's Licks and Tricks videos on youtube. Amazing guitarist that not many people know about. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up some ideas from his videos, but mastering the technique like him is going to take a lot of time.

Part 1: (You should be able to find the rest yourself )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRnDMPbtUSM
Theres a good demonstration on one of Greg Kochs dvds. Really shows you the technique behind it. Demented guitarist though, although im sure its all for show.
Quote by dmtransmutation
What the Grunge-haters think is just mindless musical nonsense, in reality is the restoration of the old rule of harmony to not write an entire song in one tonality/key
Brett Garsed and Marshall Harrison have some more rock oriented lessons on chicken picking/hybrid picking.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Brett Garsed and Marshall Harrison have some more rock oriented lessons on chicken picking/hybrid picking.

Technique is technique man, it is independent of genre. That being said... I'd say both Harrison and Garsed are more fusion based than really rock but I can't think of any real "rock" players who have lessons on the technique out there...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Technique is technique man, it is independent of genre. That being said... I'd say both Harrison and Garsed are more fusion based than really rock but I can't think of any real "rock" players who have lessons on the technique out there...

But then "fusion" on its own doesn't really describe a genre
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
I seem to remember a backing track/lesson free from gutarBT in the downloads-lessons section that was pretty good.
Quote by Deep*Kick
But then "fusion" on its own doesn't really describe a genre

Possibly not but I take "fusion" to be shorthand for jazz fusion

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try some of the john 5 chicken pickin stuff it's fairly easy.
*PROFILE NOT IN USE*
Quote by ibanezgod1973
check out greg koch (met him last year feckin awesome and he`s kinda weird)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQIT4SJHpY spank it - keep watching he chickin picks stairway to heaven.

theres a part in there where he does the zeppelin heart breaker solo......better than page
Quote by WishfulShredder
hybrid picking ≠ chicken picking

The difference being what?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The difference being what?

my understanding of chicken picken is that it's a TYPE of hybrid picking where you hybrid pick the same string that you are picking on.

so it would go: pick middle ring pick middle ring

the catch is that the hybrid picked notes are muted
this is a terrible explanation, so go look somewhere better for it

(unless Im completely wrong)
Quote by WishfulShredder
my understanding of chicken picken is that it's a TYPE of hybrid picking where you hybrid pick the same string that you are picking on.

I didn't think there was a differentiation, but the guitarists I mention both do that, usually Brett will play a sting with his finger in fast licks so his pick has more time to get around it etc.
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Quote by WishfulShredder

Sounds like a tiny difference to me, I never differentiated that kind of idea as having a separate name but whatever, I suppose it doesn't really make that much difference.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Sounds like a tiny difference to me, I never differentiated that kind of idea as having a separate name but whatever, I suppose it doesn't really make that much difference.

but its NOT a little difference. the whole point of chicken pickin is that it sounds like a chicken, whereas hybrid picking (in the rock context) is used to make string skipping easier.
Chicken picking is a poorly defined slang term. Some people use it synonymously with hybrid picking. Some people mean it in the context that WishfulShredder told it. Some people use it to me pulling the string away from the guitar so it "slaps" in a way. There is no hard and fast definition for it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Isn't chicken Picking where you put your Thumb, and Index Finger together, and then pluck the string? Ahaha. I just did the motion that I described. It does look like a chicken!
..I was watching my death.