What are you expected to know?

Has anyone advertised for their band and got someone who they thought was a complete douche because he/she didn't know the complete [insert scale here] or something like that?

How do you not be that douche?

And what songs should you know how to play if it's a metal band you're trying out for?
never done it, but i would imagine they just expect you to know your theory. i honestly don't think it'd matter if you knew every scale or not just as long as you can write creative leads that don't all sound the same
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by theAccursed
What are you expected to know?

Has anyone advertised for their band and got someone who they thought was a complete douche because he/she didn't know the complete [insert scale here] or something like that?

How do you not be that douche?

And what songs should you know how to play if it's a metal band you're trying out for?

I will try to answer your questions as best as possible:

Well, you should definitely should know how to play. I would say you should at least know the MAJOR and MINOR PENTATONIC scales if nothing else, those are just basic.

If it is a cover band you are applying to, then you need to learn the covers that they do. If the band does originals, ask for some of their songs and tabs to learn from. If the band is just forming and they are going to do originals, then you need to be active with the band, give your input, be on time with what you do.

Hope this helps.
Cool, thanks guys.

The scales sounds like a given. Though, I suppose there're no real hard and fast rule like, "you've got to know Master of Puppets or Reign of Blood because everyone plays those in auditions" type-thing.
Remember, if not stated otherwise, They expect you to have good recording gear or money to get some rec gear.

and...of course... Seriousity.
Get the e-mail address of the person than ask questions away. Ask them exactly what they are wanting, then decide if you are capable.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
If I enquired about a lead guitarist position in a band and I got asked "do you know so-and-so scale" I'd retract my interest instantly.
404: Sig not found.