Poll: Have I bought a fake?
Poll Options
View poll results: Have I bought a fake?
Yep, that's a lemon bud. Bad luck!
1 11%
Nah, that looks legit, sweet axe!
5 56%
Not sure mate
3 33%
Voters: 9.
Hi guys,

I've recently come back from Japan, with one of those "OMG" purchases. A 2nd hand MIJ Candy Apple Strat.

I have a few questions though.

1) How can I tell if this guitar is totally legit?

Details:

Bought it from a reputable shop in Ochanomizu, Tokyo.
The serial number is a N011*** (N + 6 digit), so that looks correct [1993 -1994]. It's located on the back of the neck just above the bolts.
It's a "Made in Japan", not "Crafted in Japan".
It's got a maple neck, Gotoh tuners, skunk stripe and 21 frets.
3 Staggered Pole pickups.
4 Neck bolts.
3 ply pickguard.
1 string guide on the neck.
Vintage (I think) tremolo.
When I took the neck off it had a two stamps in the heal "ST-50" and "H11". I could not find a sig or date stamp.
The neck join is superb and I can't see signs of any bad craftsmanship.

I had to replace the neck pot and when I opened her up I saw that both tone pots shared a common capacitor (bleeding to the neck tonepot) [no idea if this is normal, is my first strat].

I'm at work at the moment so I'll upload pics when I get home if needed.

2) If it is legit, what model is it?

Many thanks in advance, pretty sure I don't have a lemon but it's always good to know for sure.

Peace.
Are u gonna take it all the way back to japan if its not legit ...

Plus pics would help.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Pics to come in a few hours, after I leave the salt mines.

Won't take it back, but will send lots of angry thoughts patterns across the great blue sea. Also, may thrash the instrument around a little more than I would if it were legit

Cheers!
If it isnt it would be a good base to mod the crap out of ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Hells yeah, read a great "Pimp my Pacifica" article in Guitarist last year, might put a few of the ideas in there into practice. Unless it is what it says it is!
GuitarDaterProject says:
Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year(s): 1994 - 1995

Looks legit enough to me. What makes you think it's fake anyway?
Was bought overseas and I couldn't find a model that fit it's components anywhere on the web, so I thought I'd just check if it looked to be legit and if it was if somebody could let me know what in the hell it is
It's probably an old reissue or "Special" model of some sort, alot of that kind of stuff is made over in Japan.
Yeah those are my thoughts, really gagging to know which one though, mainly for that whole "I got a sweat INSERTMODELNAMEHERE, it's ****ing rad" over beer boasts that guitarists get to have after a new purchase
Last edited by mrfatbat at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by mrfatbat
Yeah those are my thoughts, really gagging to know which one though, mainly for that whole "I got a sweat INSERTMODELNAMEHERE, it's ****ing rad" over beer boasts that guitarists get to have after a new purchase

Email the serial to Fender, they should be able to tell you what model it is.
There are some mij fenders which are made specifically for the japanese market. this could be one of those maybe?
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
I don't know really, but I'm guessing its an MIJ Standard Strat.

As I said, that's just from looking at it, but I don't know.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
It looks like... some kind of strat. :p

Looks awesome, the japanese deffinately know how to build fenders. MIJ should be right, it wasnt till lately they started using CIJ, as far as I know theyve gone back to MIJ.

Theres nothing from those pics that would make me beleive it's anything other than an MIJ fender. Granted i'm not an expert on fakes,

A quick google tells me ST-50 was a production model of strats from japan.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.shimokura-guitar.com/st50.html&ei=WGX5SvzVMITUjAe-iq26Cw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfender%2Bjapan%2Bst-50%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLL_en-GBGB343GB344
Just the dates from when they were produced. There probably is a differene in quality, but for the same reasons you'd expect an older fender to be better than a newer one.
Thanks guys!!

That translated page seems to be the model. Really chuffed with the thing as it cost me about $400 AUD, and I've always wanted a Candy Apple Strat

I spent hours trawling through the web but just couldn't find a model that fit the components, now I believe the mystery is solved.

Just quickly, the two tone pots share a common capacitor, is this a common thing on strats?

Peace.
Also, is there a kudos or points system for the UG threads? If so I'll give out some karma

MFB
I think its standard for strats to share the capacitor for tone.

I know the MIM strat I dismantled in school and brought home deffinately did.

Even if it didn't, it was a used guitar and you can't completely throw the idea that the previous owner rewired it out of the window.

If you can operate a soldering iron then you could try having individual ones if it bothers you.