I'm looking to buy an amp between $200 and $300 that'll get a good sound for something that's inbetween garage punk and blues.

I'm currently using a Squirer Strat and a Epiphone Les Paul.

Here's a link of the sound I want to emulate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bigLiCs-YAo

Thanks a lot!
Hmm, used fender blues Jr? Maybe a Fender Superchamp XD if you want something more versatile. Either of those would work, among many many others.
I'd say go for a Blackheart, but thats a bit out of your range. Maybe try used?
Originally Posted by Spachula
So my band recently played our first gig, and it actually went great. There was only one problem though....
My band is pissed at me now for wearing a banana costume while I performed.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll give these few a look at while I'm amp shopping today.
Yea, my heart's set on that Fender Superchamp XD. The price is perfect and from the sound of it tube amps give a great tone and sound. BTW, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the greatest thing that ever happened to not just anime, but television and cinema overall.... "Gurren Lagann, spin on!"
Quote by shinshi
Yea, my heart's set on that Fender Superchamp XD. The price is perfect and from the sound of it tube amps give a great tone and sound. BTW, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is the greatest thing that ever happened to not just anime, but television and cinema overall.... "Gurren Lagann, spin on!"

Is this for at-home use or do you play out in clubs? I only ask because tube amps have a great (subjective) tone when you can turn them up and push the tubes a bit, but for at-home practicing at lower volumes, it's more difficult to get a decent tone. Just something to keep in mind when you're testing them out. Make sure to test them at the volume you're going to be using it at.
Quote by PSM
Is this for at-home use or do you play out in clubs? I only ask because tube amps have a great (subjective) tone when you can turn them up and push the tubes a bit, but for at-home practicing at lower volumes, it's more difficult to get a decent tone. Just something to keep in mind when you're testing them out. Make sure to test them at the volume you're going to be using it at.
This is an important question.

The SuperChamp won't cope with a Punk show. It just won't.

Are you gigging, mate?
Naw, no gigging, it's mainly for at-home use. I just wanted an upgrade from my low-end Marshall I've been using. I'm sure if I ever joined a band or started gigging I'd adjust my set-up accordingly to accommodate our sound. I'll keep in mind this won't hold up in a punk show. Thanks for the heads up.

I played the Superchamp today and it was pretty damn impressive to me. At first I was pretty distraught and was unhappy with the distortion channel, but once I played with the voice/equalizer I was able to get some great tones that I liked.

I noticed the tones pretty weak at low volumes, but when cranked up a bit it's damn fine. I tested it out at the volume I'd play at home, which I'll call "polite loudness", it was about a 3/4 on the volume knob, and I got a great sound to come from it.

Seems like the tones weak at low volumes with most amps I've played though. I don't think any amp is made to be used with the knob at 1.

I'm probably going to sleep on the decision tonight, and get it sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Quote by PSM

Not really, you just have to bear in mind that as you turn up the volume it's going to sound a bit different. You can get amazing tones without blowing all the doors off.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by shinshi
Naw, no gigging, it's mainly for at-home use. I just wanted an upgrade from my low-end Marshall I've been using. I'm sure if I ever joined a band or started gigging I'd adjust my set-up accordingly to accommodate our sound. I'll keep in mind this won't hold up in a punk show. Thanks for the heads up.

I played the Superchamp today and it was pretty damn impressive to me. At first I was pretty distraught and was unhappy with the distortion channel, but once I played with the voice/equalizer I was able to get some great tones that I liked.

I noticed the tones pretty weak at low volumes, but when cranked up a bit it's damn fine. I tested it out at the volume I'd play at home, which I'll call "polite loudness", it was about a 3/4 on the volume knob, and I got a great sound to come from it.

Seems like the tones weak at low volumes with most amps I've played though. I don't think any amp is made to be used with the knob at 1.

I'm probably going to sleep on the decision tonight, and get it sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Yeah, most valve amps, even the low wattage ones, can sound like Budweiser (piss) if you are afraid to give it some.

If you were really impressed with the amp, go for it.

Did you get a chance to try anything else out at the same time?
I tried a similarly priced Ibanez and Marshall, but I dug the Superchamp the most. Also tried the Fender Frontman but I was digging the tube tone a bit better.

I actually got the Superchamp sitting in my room right now. Got it a little while ago. Been wondering this morning if it's illegal in the state of California to have relations with your guitar and amp, cause I'm happy as **** to have them right now.

Wish I didn't get this set-up right before finals though....
there will be other finals, don't sweat that.

great amp for what you are doing.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I was about to come in here and recommend the Epiphone Valve Senior or a Blackheart Handsome Devil, but I see you're sorted.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
that's true, there will indeed be other finals. it's not like i was going to study more than 10 hours in advance for em anyway.

yea, the more i play it the more i like it. no regrets. makes a hell of a big difference going from a 60 buck amp to a 300 buck one, that's for sure.