Poll: What is the worst military struggle in US history?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the worst military struggle in US history?
Revolutionary War
9 2%
1 0%
Spanish-American
2 1%
Civil War
132 37%
World War I
9 2%
World War II
39 11%
Korea
1 0%
Vietnam
85 24%
War on "Terror"
64 18%
Other
19 5%
Voters: 361.
Page 1 of 5
Worst how?.

Unspecific question is unspecific.
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 (selling soon to fund a Mark V)
Probably the Civil War. Very brutal, bloody war. Lots of casualties. Invented the modern practice of total war. Civil wars in general are pretty shameful.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Civil War, because we fought each other

EDIT: And this

Quote by gsd65
none of them are the worst because we ****ing won.

I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Quote by ThatsAgood1jay
Worst how?.

Unspecific question is unspecific.

The whole point is YOU define it.
Taco Bell vs. My guts and digestive system
the ladies love when i gyrate my ass in front of a graveyard
civil war, then WWI, then WW2

trench warfare was brutal
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
In terms of brutality, I would say civil.

As far as impact on society, most definitely WWII.

as far as complete and total mis-management, thats Vietnam.
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Either the Civil or Vietnam, for how it was carried out.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
i say the civil war too. the worst conflict for the US, plus it was brutal how you could die. i mean modern medical ideas, such as germ prevention, anasthesia, etc weren't around. so you would die a painful death fighting fellow americans. so that's why i say civil war.
Definitely the Civil War. No matter how you look at it, it was the bloodiest, most disgraceful, and probably the lowest point in our nation's history.

World War II is a close second, though. For much of the same reasons.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Depends on what you mean by "worst." I'd say the Civil war probably had the most negative direct effect on the country in terms of culture, economy, and lives lost.

Then again, no war was probably uglier than WWI, it's the one that mind ****ed the entire Western world, and turned everyone into cynical, skeptical, disillusioned little sad sacks.
Quote by gsd65

USA! USA! USA!
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
we withdrew. we didnt surrender. so it doesnt count either way. ha.

EDIT:

we also never declared war. it was just a policing action.
Last edited by gsd65 at Nov 9, 2009,
Civil War.

1. We were fighting each other, sort of.
2. More casualties than any other war.
3. Basically invented modern warfare (to an extent, though many consider the Crimean War to be the first 'modern' war)
4. Plus the fact that brothers were fighting against each other, father fighting against sons, etc. Terrible stuff.
Quote by gsd65

Can anyone honestly say we won the conflict with Korea?

As far as I can tell, Korea is still at war.

I wouldn't exactly consider Vietnam a victory, either.

And what about the Iraqi War? It seems to me that we're still over there. Can't really call it a victory yet, can we?
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Holy Katana
Hi, I'm Ho Chi Minh, and I'd like a word with you.

To be specific, we did not technically lose that war. We just said, "Quit turtling n00b, gtg eat dinner at 1977" and then we left instance.
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Quote by Black Star
Can anyone honestly say we won the conflict with Korea?

As far as I can tell, Korea is still at war.

I wouldn't exactly consider Vietnam a victory, either.

And what about the Iraqi War? It seems to me that we're still over there. Can't really call it a victory yet, can we?

once again, we never declared war on vietnam, it was only a policing action. the iraq war isnt over but im pretty sure we're winning. and kim jong il is insane and you can't in all reality do a damn thing.

The one in which you fight yourself is the worst.

But I'm not American, so I won't vote in the poll.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by RU Experienced?
WWII, the dropping of the atomic bombs on nagasaki and hiroshima killed thousands of civilians and was inexcusable.

Yes, and the blind mutiliation of our POW Soldiers, not to mention their brutality against our chinese allies, and sneak peacetime attack on our leading naval base.

inex-****ing-cuseable.

And the fire bombing of tokyo killed more than both bombs combined. Lurn teh hiztories.
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Quote by ThatsAgood1jay
To be specific, we did not technically lose that war. We just said, "Quit turtling n00b, gtg eat dinner at 1977" and then we left instance.

We failed in our goals (keeping North and South Vietnam separate). Vietnamization was a total failure.
Either the Civil and Vietnam war.
Civil for reasons already stated and Vietnam, well me sent soldiers in to get killed then pulled them out without really accomplishing anything. The Vietnam War technically never ended either. No treaty was ever signed or anything, we just pulled out and nothing major has happened since.(like bad sex)
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 9, 2009,
Quote by blackthought
We failed in our goals (keeping North and South Vietnam separate). Vietnamization was a total failure.

failure but not a loss. we NEVER DECLARED WAR. if you dont know your history then shut up.
Civil war Brah.

I took American History (an unbiased retelling of your history) so I know what I'm talking about
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
WWI.

it was the war that changed our foreign policy completely. if wilson would have kept us out of the war, the world and US foreign policy today would look very different. interjecting ourselves in a foreign war that we didnt have vested interest in, in terms of national security; its sorta the roots of vietnam, afganistan, iraq, etc.

the foreign forces were more or less bleeding themselves out of the war. if the allies didnt have the US on their side when it came to negotiating the end-war treaty, the allies would have had a considerable amount less leverage and arguably wouldnt have been able to require such high reparations from germany. if that was the case, hitler probably would have never rose to power and we might have seen a lessened rise in fascism and communism. this is all speculative of course.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
If you mean on shear number of death's and bloodshed, I believe WWII is the answer. But if by worst you mean the most meaningless, Vietnam or as you put it, the war on terror would probably take that.
When you have the power, what can't you do?

Quote by KirkMetallica
[IMG]http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs42/f/2009/066/c/2/RAEG_TIME_ID_by_Nidaime_San.jpg[/IMG]

Go, Raeg at the yuppies.
Quote by blackthought

It was a flawed war to begin with, Vietnam had no ties with the U.S. And no one in south Vietnam cared if they were communist or democratic. It was just American fear of the spread of communism.
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Quote by gsd65
failure but not a loss. we NEVER DECLARED WAR. if you dont know your history then shut up.

Okay Mr. Pedantic. Keep your illusions, they don't affect me in any way.

Quote by ThatsAgood1jay
It was a flawed war to begin with, Vietnam had no ties with the U.S. And no one in south Vietnam cared if they were communist or democratic. It was just American fear of the spread of communism.

I agree with you on this.
Last edited by blackthought at Nov 9, 2009,
We were winning the war in Vietnam, but the media had a huge influence. So we decided we had better things to do.

Korea War was the first war we've lost.

We won in Iraq. Killing Sadam + complete takeover of a nation = Win
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Page 1 of 5