I've been wanting to replace the pickups in my ESP-Viper 400, and would like to know how the Duncan Distortion will sound. I have been wanting a high gain pick up and my experience with seymour duncan in the past has been very good. What would you guys think of this?
^i kinda want to try one of those now. ive only used 3 different SD pups but ive been happy with all of them. its cool they have so many to choose from eh?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

i want something with a thick sound, i will be playing lots of punk/alternative and the EMG's are just no good.
Quote by LocalDealer14
i want something with a thick sound, i will be playing lots of punk/alternative and the EMG's are just no good.

maybe because you're playing them through a frontman?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I have the tb-6 in my ibanez and i love it to pieces. Check out some of the clips in my profile to see how it sounds. Id recommend it to anyone. Only downside is the cleans arent very good at all. Its got a nice heavy sound but still has some definition to it.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
no, i have a backheart tube, and i still dont like them. sure they are heavy, but to me they sound boring and not too lively. just my preference.
The SH-6 is clear in A standard (Drop G with top string as A)
wonder how heavier the SH-8 sounds compared to it
Quote by mikeyElite
maybe because you're playing them through a frontman?

no.
Quote by xDarrellx87x
The SH-6 is clear in A standard (Drop G with top string as A)
wonder how heavier the SH-8 sounds compared to it

Well, the SH-8 would be muddy as all hell in that tuning.

TS, the Duncan Distortion is more of a metal pickup, IMO.

Try a JB or a Duncan Custom.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Well, the SH-8 would be muddy as all hell in that tuning.

TS, the Duncan Distortion is more of a metal pickup, IMO.

Try a JB or a Duncan Custom.

Nice to know the SH-8 is muddy at those tunnings
The SH-6 is quite punchy what most over look is it
requires different settings than most pickups
on the tone chart of Seymour Duncan they tell
you the settings used on each pickup
and the SH-6 had much lower bass and mids than most
Static-X uses this same pickup and he sometimes goes to
A sharp and its pretty clear I must say.

Also I would guess it depends on the type of wood in your guitar
The SH-6 seems to like Mahagany

I like my duncan distortion, may as well put it in my new EC-401
Last edited by xDarrellx87x at Nov 10, 2009,
i have a jb in my other guitar and i really like it, just a bit to trebly for me. So i was looking at the Sh-6 being close to the jb but just more smooth and more bass, but i might go with the sh-5 over the sh-6 now.
Quote by LocalDealer14
i have a jb in my other guitar and i really like it, just a bit to trebly for me. So i was looking at the Sh-6 being close to the jb but just more smooth and more bass, but i might go with the sh-5 over the sh-6 now.

The SH-6 is like the JB but it takes hi gain better and is made for really low drop tunings

SH-6 (B) and SH-2 (N) is a good combination

SH2 is an high output version of the 59 fyi
As a Duncan Distortion owner, I feel that the pup is very well rounded.
It is high gain for a passive, but it still retains its clarity and resonance. I have it in the bridge position, and under the right circumstances t gets rather chunky. On the clean channel, its bright, but not irritatingly so.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh6_duncan_dist/

Here ya go for your reference.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
i hear all the time that the invader sounds terrible. seriously, for a thick heavy tone, i'd go with the alternative 8. it sounds good clean, that being said, if your on a distortion channel dont expect it to clean up any by rolling the volume off, this pickup is HOT!
Quote by POWERMETAL!
i hear all the time that the invader sounds terrible. seriously, for a thick heavy tone, i'd go with the alternative 8. it sounds good clean, that being said, if your on a distortion channel dont expect it to clean up any by rolling the volume off, this pickup is HOT!

It barely hotter than SH-6 you just can put strings a little closer