hey every1
im thinking bout gettin a new guitar but i need sum advice wehich guitar do you think would be better i play metal mostly nd iv been thhinkin bout getting a kerry king signature v or an ibanez rg
which do you think would be better nd if there is any others please say so
Quote by fuglycat
well i think you should learn how to spell first

Yeah really...
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by fuglycat
well i think you should learn how to spell first

+1 Take an extra 5 minutes to make sure it looks like you have most of your words spelt correctly.

Anyway what is your current gear?
What is your budget?
Which model RG were you looking at? And which Kerry king v were you looking at?
get a v especially a string thru, it has a higher sustain to give it more tone. look back all the way to early metal, just about everyone from randy rhoades to michael amott used a V.
Quote by malmsteensolo
get a v especially a string thru, it has a higher sustain to give it more tone. look back all the way to early metal, just about everyone from randy rhoades to michael amott used a V.

Amott also used a RG as well let us not forget that
well the V is going to be a little more one dimensional in that it'll do Metal really well and Heavy rock but it won't have the range really to work well in other applications of music. The Rg will have that ability being a strat style body and it'll be able to hop in a blues jam, classic rock vibes, or even a jazz/fusion song or two. I always tell my students that a good guitar player does one style really well. A Great guitar player does many well.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by amatas83
well the V is going to be a little more one dimensional in that it'll do Metal really well and Heavy rock but it won't have the range really to work well in other applications of music. The Rg will have that ability being a strat style body and it'll be able to hop in a blues jam, classic rock vibes, or even a jazz/fusion song or two. I always tell my students that a good guitar player does one style really well. A Great guitar player does many well.

If that's the case then if you were to hand a great guitar player a flying V wouldn't they still be able to blues and jazz on it? Which would mean the V isn't at all one dimensional like you started in the beginning of your post?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
If that's the case then if you were to hand a great guitar player a flying V wouldn't they still be able to blues and jazz on it? Which would mean the V isn't at all one dimensional like you started in the beginning of your post?

I think he is saying that a great guitarist can do many of them well, meaning that getting a guitar that only allows you to do one well will be limiting. Better to have one guitar that is good at a lot than one that is great at only one. That is, unless you have the money for multiple guitars that are great at only one thing.
Quote by amatas83

Hedrix I believe played a V towards the end of his career/life.

But yes RG's are great guitars, my RG350DX does my 80's rock stuff and even alot of metal/death metal tones as well. I havent modded the guitar at all other than blocking the tremolo from pulling up (theres a good reason and story as to why that is) but it still sounds great even with the stock pickups.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Chaos Nil
I think he is saying that a great guitarist can do many of them well, meaning that getting a guitar that only allows you to do one well will be limiting. Better to have one guitar that is good at a lot than one that is great at only one. That is, unless you have the money for multiple guitars that are great at only one thing.

But how can you get a guitar that only does 1 genre? Like amatas83 has stated a 'great' player will be able to play many genre's so wouldn't they be able to make the flying v be able to play beyond it's 'genre's. I'm not saying he's wrong but saying that a flying v is restricted in terms of genre's it can play is probably not the most technically correct considering the guitar doesn't play itself the guitarist does I don't know maybe it's the beer going straight to me head but honestly I can see how a flying v would solely only be able to be played metal and rock, I bet you even amatas83 could play his main preference of music on it and still get a cranking sound.
The Flying V (and Explorer) originated in 1958. I don't know why people say that they're metal guitars since metal didn't exist when they came out. There's no such thing as metal guitars. All guitars are pretty much the same: wood body, wood neck, and magnetic pickups. They just have different configurations. Guitars haven't really changed in 50 years. The only thing that separates "metal" guitars from the rest are pickups. And that's not a fact since you can play metal (and all other genres) on any type of pickup. There is nothing inherently metal about any guitar.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
But how can you get a guitar that only does 1 genre? Like amatas83 has stated a 'great' player will be able to play many genre's so wouldn't they be able to make the flying v be able to play beyond it's 'genre's. I'm not saying he's wrong but saying that a flying v is restricted in terms of genre's it can play is probably not the most technically correct considering the guitar doesn't play itself the guitarist does I don't know maybe it's the beer going straight to me head but honestly I can see how a flying v would solely only be able to be played metal and rock, I bet you even amatas83 could play his main preference of music on it and still get a cranking sound.

Oh no no no. I'm sorry, I wasn't agreeing with that statement fully. I was merely explaining what I think he was trying to say. I didn't for one mean to say its only good for 1. I don't really think you can only really play a few genres on there either. I think piratically every guitar can sound good playing any genre. Some people however really do like the tone a certain guitar gives for a genre. In the end though, its true that a strat, vs a les paul, vs a V, vs a tele all give a different tone. That tone helps be a base for the sound you will get in the end. A lot of times just changing the amp and such will be a completely different tone. Doesn't mean that starting with a good base for your tone shouldn't have an effect in the end.
But yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I was agreeing, I was just trying to rephrase what he said. I do think that the V is a good choice for consideration for someone who is looking for a tone to be used for metal, heavy rock and such.