I've decided that it is time to get a Strat. I'm in Australia, with a budget of $1000AUD, maybe a little more but not much. Will probably have to go Mexican for that price. I'm a fan of the Road Worn series, but they're ridiculously expensive.

Desired, 22 frets (not essential, but if I can get one with 22 then that'd be great), available in Sunburst, will probably mod the tone controls (one tone to control the tone of all pickups, and the other as a boost or something), Rosewood fretboard.

Would consider buying internationally if possible and more cost efficient.

Ideas?
I got my highway 1 for just over a thousand, but that was at the end of last year. I did see Billy Hyde having a sale: $999 for Am standards, dunno if that's still going

A Mexi could suit you pretty well, just make sure you play heaps of them and take the one that feels the best.

Also, you might want to consider going custom. I.e. getting body/neck and assembling them with some electronics. Very simple, and you end up with a damn nice guitar.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
American standards at 1000... damn thats pretty good

mexican strats really vary in quality so play a lot of them...
but honestly I'd prob consider going for an Am stand
and if you can, try to save up for an American vintage, both the 57 and 62 are brilliant... but expensive...
try playing a highway one to, they have a bit of a different feel, i didnt like it as much but
Never played the roadworn, but they look cool

I would recommend, playing as many as you can and going with whatever feels best
RIP Gooze

cats
Saving up that much is unrealistic... uni student, don't make much. I have a budget of $1000 as a close family member died and left me with that much and I want to buy something I will have forever, kind of like my last Christmas present from him.

I found one on eBay, a Highway One for $899. If they have them, should be able to get similar ones elsewhere that I can try out first. I played a Highway One the other day and I really liked it. I'll look on their website, coming up to Christmas time they might have some specials going. Most of the Mexican ones I've played were pretty nice.

Also would like if it had the bridge humbucker, but that's not overly important.

EDIT: I just found a Road Worn 60's Strat in Sunburst, which is like my DREAM guitar, for under $1000AUD.
Quote by mulefish
A frusciante sig ?

DAAMN YOU SIR! DAMN YOU TOO HELLLL!!!!!

to OP: sooner or later someone's going to suggest you go used. The local buyer is winning now-a-days what with the buyer's market. And you could find some gems amongst all the rubbish. But yes, I have a MIM Strat and I love it to bits (also sunburst ) so it may be in your favour to look around - as you have been doing.

Best of luck to you, cheers from Sydney!
Honestly man, if you live in a city, you're best bet is to look about locally. See if you can track down someone selling, because they tend to be better deals. I picked up my Strat Plus for $1400 locally, I doubt I'd get the same guitar for that much online. If that's not an option, just make sure to keep an eye out. A few music stores will be having Sales around this time, and Ebay is always great for gems.
Not a huge fan of bees
I live in Newcastle... nothing doing around here.

Going used doesn't bother me... I like the Road Worn ones, a REAL worn one would be just as good I would imagine, hahaha.

I found that one for under $1000 on eBay, I'm sure I'll find another one like it if I don't get that one. Thanks guys
maybe go for a used MIJ strat
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Maybe a Fender Classic Player 60s if you don't get that Road Worn. It's kinda like a classic strat (Fender Custom Shop 69 pickups, and vintage looks) mixed in with some modern touches (12" radius, Custom Shop 2 point bridge and stuff like that).

Check it out.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
Maybe a Fender Classic Player 60s if you don't get that Road Worn. It's kinda like a classic strat (Fender Custom Shop 69 pickups, and vintage looks) mixed in with some modern touches (12" radius, Custom Shop 2 point bridge and stuff like that).

Check it out.

Pretty much this. It also comes in Sonic Blue .

I personally didn't find the Road Worn series that great. I had played one at my local shop a few times. The neck was alright, it didn't feel worn in to me though, the body also just felt kinda cheap and everything, but hey, you might like it.

I also recommend you just assemble one from parts on eBay. You'd get EXACTLY what you want out of a guitar, and there are more options to choose from. Since you were also talking about a naturally worn guitar, you can pick up (or do it yourself) a body that is finished in pure nitro, along with the neck. Which over time not only will it sound awesome, but it'll be able to be worn like any of those old beat up guitars (even SRV's.)