Hiya guys! I have quite a small problem that i could use some advice on.

So a few weeks ago i get contacted by a guy who wants me for his new band project, he was a guitarist and claimed he was decent at it. He had heard from some mutual friends that i was a great guitarist and wanted me in. Well i said "Sure why not" and then we got a bassist,keyboardist and drummer and started playing. I was playing lead guitar and singing and the other guy was rythmWell we have rehearsed 3 times now and it is not working out at all.

First of all the rythm guitarist is a HUGE crybaby, he gets furious any time you prove him wrong(Which happens pretty much every band practise. He knows no theory what so ever and he has a shitty technique, when he has to change chords he almost always fails at makes it sound really choppy. When he eventually makes so many mistakes that it is impossible for the rest of the band to continue playing and we stop he gets mad and says that we are shitty musicians because we stop playing. His "songs" contain of atonal powerchord mashing, he wants to make dissonant music because he doesnt know how to play in key. Other than that he is one of the worst lyricists ever and demands to be the main songwriter for the band.

Other than that the rest of the band is pretty good except for the bassist but he is a really nice guy and doesnt complain when i give him advice about theory.

So what should i do? Stay and wait til it gets together? or move on to another band?

Tl;Dr Started playing in a new band, rythm guitarist(he started the band) is a crap guitarist. Should i move on to another band?
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Stay in the band, kick the other guy out? Seriously, if he's as bad as you say, the other band members will want to kick him out aswell
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
go to him "hey man, I found this really cool website called <link to 12BB explanation>, it's totally inspiring"

Honestly, 12 Bar Blues is what got me into theory. Why is IV and V so good sounding?!

Whenever you see the other members, be like "man that guy is pissing me off sometimes.. blah blah jokes.." see if they agree.

He will want to take control because HE invited YOU into HIS BAND PROJECT whatever...

Treat this as his project an do what he says until he asks you for help. Start off another band on the side.
Quote by Gord@k
First of all the rythm guitarist is a HUGE crybaby, he gets furious any time you prove him wrong(Which happens pretty much every band practise.
If you spend your time "proving him wrong" you shouldn't be in the band. You're obviously not happy. It doesn't sound like you're doing much to make him happy either.

Quote by Gord@k
Should i move on to another band?
It sounds like you'd both be happier, doesn't it?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
steal the drummer, maybe the bassist, do your thing. try to make it look like it was his idea.
He's the founder of the band, so you can't technically kick him out.

However it sounds like you've met some other great musicians that you may click with. Have a chat with them behind closed doors and ask them whether they'd be interested in doing something else with you, without the other guy.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
He's the founder of the band, so you can't technically kick him out.

However it sounds like you've met some other great musicians that you may click with. Have a chat with them behind closed doors and ask them whether they'd be interested in doing something else with you, without the other guy.

Yeah that´s the thing, the other guys are also great musician, the drummer iis amazing. So i will probably do what you say.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett