Ok, so I have a BC Virgo (totally sweet), and I have had the factory pickups ever since I got it a year ago. I need to get some better pickups. At the moment, I can't decide between the Seymour Duncan AHB-1 set and the EMG 81/85 set. This is a common debate so I've heard. I would like some opinions of which is better. Also, if there is a better set of pickups in your opinion, please suggest it too. I would prefer probably active pickups. I am in to mainly metal music, so make your suggestions based on that. Thanks heaps
---Gear---

BC Rich Virgo
My first guitar (some crap ibanez? Dad never told me what model...)
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
Marshall MG 15 Watt
Boss DS-1 Pedal

Really want Mick Thomson's Signature Ibanez MTM1...
You'll never get rich and famous by wasting money. Irongear Hot Slags will give you all you want at a crazy price.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Pickups aren't going to be much of an improvement for you with the Vypyr, certainly not actives....you'll get some change in tone but it will in no way reflect the cost, actives may even make things sound worse to your ears.

Save your money and spend it on something worthwhile.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
blackouts > emg
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by drying out
blackouts > emg

Everyone has different opinions on things, so Blackouts are not necessarily better than EMGs

EDIT: 666th post
Last edited by SMB13 at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by SMB13
Opinion > Fact

EDIT: 666th post

Shouldn't it be Fact > Opinion?
I'd rather take fact over that guys opinion.
Quote by consecutive e

Would you listen to the fact that MG has crushing overdrive?

Actually, have a good point, but what I was trying to get at is that everyone has different opinions.
Quote by consecutive e

Read it in a sarcastic manner and you'll get it. And Mr. Seagull has it right while changing to active pickups will have an effect on your tone it's worth it to change to a new amp.
new amp

but seriously, this whole blackout vs emg is COMPLETE opinion....as really with any pickups. of course duncans are going to better than say, epiphone or whatever stock, but past that, its all opinion. youtube ur ass off and go try out guitars that have those pickups stock. emgs and blackout guitars are no problem to find.

i was faced with this decision a while ago and this video helped so much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoSvdirNK2o

NOTE: these are being played thru a tube amp, actives and most SS's dont mix well.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Nov 10, 2009,
dimarzios. get PAF pro for neck, so u can get good cleans and harmonics. get d-activator for bridge (like actives but passive) for a biting tone. i dont own them, but i have played them and they make a huge difference. when i get new guitar, im putting them in
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Thanks guys helped alot. I'm planning on buying a new amp sooner or later but im not sure yet what. The Peavey 6505 series looks good but my folks probably wouldn't like the amount of noise...
Anyway, I dont want to sound stupid, but why would active pickups not change much with my current amp? Really sorry, Im not really the expert in the pickup area...
---Gear---

BC Rich Virgo
My first guitar (some crap ibanez? Dad never told me what model...)
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
Marshall MG 15 Watt
Boss DS-1 Pedal

Really want Mick Thomson's Signature Ibanez MTM1...
Here's the deal. EMG's will severely limit you as far as the different sounds that will be available to you. If you like to play distorted rock and shred all the time, then EMG's are for you. If you want to play clean even one time in your life, EMG's are not for you.

For diversity I would go with the Duncans over the EMG's if I were you.
Personally, I have a Fender strat for playing clean stuff, and I use either of my two Epiphones for everything else, which is 99.9% of the time because I like to shred. The Epiphones have an EMG 85 at the neck and EMG 81 at the bridge, and boy do they sound mean as hell.

The correct answer for you is that you need to have at least two guitars. One for shredding, and one for playing the clean happy stuff.
It's not how you pick your nose ... It's where you put the booger!

Frog...
Quote by froglips
Here's the deal. EMG's will severely limit you as far as the different sounds that will be available to you. If you like to play distorted rock and shred all the time, then EMG's are for you. If you want to play clean even one time in your life, EMG's are not for you.
For diversity I would go with the Duncans over the EMG's if I were you.
Personally, I have a Fender strat for playing clean stuff, and I use either of my two Epiphones for everything else, which is 99.9% of the time because I like to shred. The Epiphones have an EMG 85 at the neck and EMG 81 at the bridge, and boy do they sound mean as hell.

The correct answer for you is that you need to have at least two guitars. One for shredding, and one for playing the clean happy stuff.

Seriously?

Another one of you?

Christ.

My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by tommyt
Seriously?

Another one of you?

Christ.

calm down Tommy-boy. He's new. let it go for now. He'll learn in due time.

TS, buy a new friggin amp before anything else.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']calm down Tommy-boy. He's new. let it go for now. He'll learn in due time.

TS, buy a new friggin amp before anything else.

Maybe you're right dude, just not in the best mood, 5 people who work in my local (and untill recently really trusted) guitar store don't know what valves are ... never head of them

one of them thought we wanted light bulbs.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by tommyt
Maybe you're right dude, just not in the best mood, 5 people who work in my local (and untill recently really trusted) guitar store don't know what valves are ... never head of them

one of them thought we wanted light bulbs.

hahahaha
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12