Page 1 of 2
I am looking at buying a pedal at the moment, and I've got my eye on 2 currently. They are the Boss Metal Zone and the Boss Metal Core. So I want to know which is better. I'm into metal music so I'm looking for the most distortion. Another question, is it even worth buying a pedal? I already have an amp with distortion but I want to know if putting my amp on clean with one of these pedals has more oomf than just my amp with max gain/distortion. Please reply.
---Gear---

BC Rich Virgo
My first guitar (some crap ibanez? Dad never told me what model...)
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
Marshall MG 15 Watt
Boss DS-1 Pedal

Really want Mick Thomson's Signature Ibanez MTM1...
hint: don't look for "the most" distortion.

i got a metal zone as a gift. contrary to most people, i will tell you that it's decent, not great. you should also know that i have the distortion knob at about 10 o'clock, which is way less than what the thing is capable of.

the metal core one is supposed to be even harsher than the metal zone.

i think you should try out some more pedals
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Nov 11, 2009,
The only Metal Zones that's not absolutely phail are the modded metal zones.

Check out the Keeley or Monte Allums modded metal zones.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
those pedals are just a way for the companies to make a quick buck of stupid beginner guitarists looking for br00tz tone. I guarantee all your heroes get their tone from an overdrive pedal pushing an already overdriven tube amp. Either that or really good solid state amps like Dimebag used. I don't even like metal but my 2c anyway. Those pedals are not decent at all and will make most amps at decent volume sound like balls
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Out of the two, the Metal Core is better (unless the Metal Zone is modded), but there are better pedals out there than both of them. I wouldn't bother with distortion pedal through a Vypyr or MG (I own the former) personally.

If you're still interested in the ML2, I have one that I'm selling.
Quote by druz15_UG
those pedals are just a way for the companies to make a quick buck of stupid beginner guitarists looking for br00tz tone. I guarantee all your heroes get their tone from an overdrive pedal pushing an already overdriven tube amp. Either that or really good solid state amps like Dimebag used. I don't even like metal but my 2c anyway. Those pedals are not decent at all and will make most amps at decent volume sound like balls

^ This....A Million Times
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
hint: don't look for "the most" distortion.

i got a metal zone as a gift. contrary to most people, i will tell you that it's decent, not great. you should also know that i have the distortion knob
at about 4 o'clock, which is way less than what the thing is capable of.

What?

Are you still using the MG in your signature TS? If so I'd forgo pedals for the time being and just try your best to eq it properly. It's not really worth the money to buy a $90 pedal with that amp.
^ In his sig, there's a Vypyr 75 right above it. I swear, in GG&A, as soon as we see 'MG' we just switch off and see nothing else, lol
HE HAS A VYPYR 75 !!!

TS, this should do metal fine on it's own.

Go troll the ultimate settings thread for ideas.
Quote by unet
HE HAS A VYPYR 75 !!!

TS, this should do metal fine on it's own.

Go troll the ultimate settings thread for ideas.
+1
Yeah dude, if you're not getting a metal sound out of a freakin' Vypyr, you're doing something wrong.

And honestly, some of the most brutal tones are done with a lot less gain than you think.
I keep my gain knob on 5, and I can play some heavy shit with my JSX. Think about it this way - the more gain you end up using, the more you're gonna end up compressing your sound = less dynamic range.

Try adjusting your EQ. If you want more "oomph," play with your midrange and low end, and adjust your treble for a little more cut, maybe. You have a Vypyr - it models the 6505 - the KING of "oomph," in my opinion. lol

Honestly, a Metal Zone is gonna sound a lot wimpier than your Vypyr's distortion - I can't say anything about the Metal Core, but I'd imagine it'd be just as bad.
Quote by x7shadesofblack

Honestly, a Metal Zone is gonna sound a lot wimpier than your Vypyr's distortion - I can't say anything about the Metal Core, but I'd imagine it'd be just as bad.

And as such, high gain pedals into a modelling amp = no no no no NO NO NO!!!

Much less the metalzone.
The 6505 model on the Vypyr is buzzy and thin, I never found it to be that good. The best metal tones in a Vypyr are mostly found on the Rec, K-Stein and sometimes the Dzl channels.

Takes some tweaking though... My Vypyr is okay, but I rarely get tones out of it that I'm happy with, even for metal.

TS - Play with the EQ on your Vypyr too, look at the Stompboxes, especially the Tubescreamer, X Boost, XR Wild and Squeeze.
I wouldn't suggest an overdrive pedal for your amp - I've never heard a tubescreamer sound good through a solid state amp. I guess another thing is it all depends on EXACTLY what type of metal sound you're looking for.

Are you looking for more of a mid-heavy Slayer type tone, or more of a mid-scooped Pantera-ish tone?
Yeah, stay away from the overdrives. You'll never get what you want out of one. At least with your amp. Most of the people that get killer metal tones from an overdrive pedal REALLY CRANK their tube amps.

If you really want a pedal, the Metal Muff will blow the 2 pedals you are looking at away. It's much more flexible also. The boost is a little harsh for me but if you barely turn it up it gives you a nice tonal change you can use for a second distortion sound.
Quote by druz15_UG

poops

and your vypyr has far better tone than a metal zone could ever hope for. go play it
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by guitar/bass76
What?

i'm an idiot, i meant more like 10 o'clock. -__-
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
hmmm on reading all of these helpful suggestions I think I will decide against a pedal... The only reason I wanted one, was so I could crank up the gain on my amp, and add a little bit more with a pedal to get some serious tone without it just feedbacking. But now i see its not worth it, and just a waste of money...

Anyway on my Vyper, I have the pre gain and post gain on max, with the 6505 amp setting on, with no stompox effect. Is that a good metal tone in your opinion?
---Gear---

BC Rich Virgo
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
Marshall MG 15 Watt
Boss DS-1 Pedal

Yeah... maybe turn your pre gain down a little. Does it sound good to you? Doesn't matter how we feel, and telling us that you have that amp setting doesn't really tell us how it sounds.
If you think you are still not getting enough distortion, turn some of your pre gain down to about half, and then start using the tubescreamer pedal effect... there will most likely be much more gain... you may start hearing your own thoughts.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
I much prefer the Mega Distortion anyway.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Daemoniak
I suggest you check out the Line6 Uber metal pedal. The "pulverize" tone is crushing, it has a built in noise gate and it's built like a tank. Way better than either of the Boss pedals imho.

High Gain Modelling pedal into a modelling amp?

Dude...
Are you saying it wouldn't sound good through the clean channel? I don't see why it wouldn't.
All I'm saying is that it's a great pedal. I've tried both Boss pedal's and thought they sounded too fuzzy and muddy.
The amp will get the signal you're feeding into it and try and 'model' it into the sound of whichever channel you are using. It does screw with the tone somewhat, hence distortion pedals into modelers is rarely recommended.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
The amp will get the signal you're feeding into it and try and 'model' it into the sound of whichever channel you are using. It does screw with the tone somewhat, hence distortion pedals into modelers is rarely recommended.

Exactly.

Your "modeled" distortion sound from the Uber metal (which is apparently quite crap) will go through the Vypyr which will try and filter it to match the freq response of a Fender Blackface (or whatever other clean amp). That'll pretty much make it sound like shit.

I speak from experience here.
(Analog distortions fare better than digital modeling pedals though....but still not recommended)
Quote by Fezza_
hmmm on reading all of these helpful suggestions I think I will decide against a pedal... The only reason I wanted one, was so I could crank up the gain on my amp, and add a little bit more with a pedal to get some serious tone without it just feedbacking. But now i see its not worth it, and just a waste of money...

Anyway on my Vyper, I have the pre gain and post gain on max, with the 6505 amp setting on, with no stompox effect. Is that a good metal tone in your opinion?

Vast amounts of gain =/= "serious tone"
Sure a fair amount of gain does sound good. But turning everything to 10 on the amp and adding a (very bad) distortion pedal will not sound good. In fact what you will have is a giant feedbacking mess of feedback with a minute amount of sucky tone.

However a well EQ'ed amp with a reasonable amount of gain will give you a good metal tone. By well EQ'ed I don't mean vastly scooped mids and bass on 10...
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Sometimes, just for fun, I like to turn my knobs so my settings are on 6-6-6.
Not gonna lie, it sounds pretty awesome. Try it. lol
Quote by SimplyBen

Vast amounts of gain =/= "serious tone"
Sure a fair amount of gain does sound good. But turning everything to 10 on the amp and adding a (very bad) distortion pedal will not sound good. In fact what you will have is a giant feedbacking mess of feedback with a minute amount of sucky tone.

However a well EQ'ed amp with a reasonable amount of gain will give you a good metal tone. By well EQ'ed I don't mean vastly scooped mids and bass on 10...

I did say I only added a little more gain....
And yes you are right, it does sound like crap; I added my DS-1 to this and... well, simply put, FAIL. By the way while we are on the subject what's an example of a well eq'd amp?
---Gear---

BC Rich Virgo
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
Marshall MG 15 Watt
Boss DS-1 Pedal

Quote by x7shadesofblack
Sometimes, just for fun, I like to turn my knobs so my settings are on 6-6-6.
Not gonna lie, it sounds pretty awesome. Try it. lol

Apparently the 5150+/6505+ with all the settings at 6 sound pretty rawk.

Just hearsay tho.. I've not tried it.... hehe the 666 setting.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
When I play on my xxx, I usually don't put my gain past 7. Depending on what type of metal tone your looking for, some mids like iron maiden and slayer, or little mids like metallica, play with yuor knobs and you don't need as much gain as you think.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Daemoniak
I suggest you check out the Line6 Uber metal pedal. The "pulverize" tone is crushing, it has a built in noise gate and it's built like a tank. Way better than either of the Boss pedals imho.

+1000

this isnt the greatest pedal of all time .... but the best i heard .. for cheap set up . . it sound better than your average metal zone ,.. metal core . and most of them ...

has a noise gate really useful ..

i would get one ... it the pedal that sound the same in alsmot every amp ... but sound .. nothing like a spider ..

im still amazed by that pedal for bedroom ... specially the noise gate and the pulverize channel .. put that in the clean channel of your amp ... and you shoudl be fine .

i dont even love line 6 .. i still hate the spider II i had 3 years ago . but this pedla is the best ive tried .

but if you got a modeler.. im not sure .. i had bad experience and some had good . but im thinking this would be bad .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Nov 12, 2009,
don't listen to any of these guys.

Sell everything you've got, and buy a marshall mg 15dx and a Metal Zone pedal.

Most Br00talz tone there is.
I have a Metal Zone, worst mistake i ever made.

I used to think it was good, but that was because i was playing through a Spider 3. Tehn i thought it was alright, it just went down from there. It is buzzy, ultra thin and one-dimensional. The Mid Freq. knob is useful in theory, but most of the tones you can achieve from it's tweaking are unusable so your left with either the scooped mids or boosted a bit.

It's called the Metal Zone but i just can't get metal tones out of it. Sure it has the gain but even with the mids scooped and the bass cranked you just can't get rid of that thin sound it has. IMO, a metal distortion that can't get heavy is useless.

The only way i could see it being used productively is in Black Metal but that genre prides itself on shit tone.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by rlheart
don't listen to any of these guys.

Sell everything you've got, and buy a marshall mg 15dx and a Metal Zone pedal.

Most Br00talz tone there is.

Stop spamming.

But

TS, in all seriousness, spend some quality time with your amp. Turn the gain down, push your mids, and go from there.

The best metal tones aren't tones of gain. A lot of guys use WAY less gain than you'd think.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Nov 12, 2009,
Quote by stratman_13
The best metal tones aren't tones of gain. A lot of guys use WAY less gain than you'd think.

+1...

It doesn't always need to go to 11.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
+1...

It doesn't always need to go to 11.

Unless of course you're Nigel Tufnel.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Fezza_
I did say I only added a little more gain....
And yes you are right, it does sound like crap; I added my DS-1 to this and... well, simply put, FAIL. By the way while we are on the subject what's an example of a well eq'd amp?

That's why I told you off for it Generally if your using pedals on top of a dirty channel stick with tube amp + OD pedal.

An example of a well EQ'd amp is any tone you like What you really like is going to be completely different to what I like. Easiest way to decide what you want is to sit down with your amp, turn everything to 5 and really listen to it. Play with it just on 5 for a bit get a feel for what you think needs changing.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Page 1 of 2