i wasn't sure what to search for seeing as I wanted to know about the kahler trems in general and I didnt want to look through 100 threads I wanna know how they compare to OFR's are they durable are they easy to set up can they go forwards and backwards and how it works with no springs in the back if you can help me out that would be appreciated
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Durable: yes

Easy to set up: Easier than a Floyd to me - but some people like setting up floyds better.

Go up and down: Yes

Springs in the back: There are springs in the back, they just aren´t adjusted in a way that you need to see them.

How it works: There are springs in the back that pull a rotating shaft one direction while the strings pull it the other direction. You balance the bridge from the top with an allen key.

Other things to know: Depending on what model you get you can get them made of different metals (Brass, Steel, Aluminum) and they all sound pretty different. Brass is softer and fatter sounding and steel is sharper - good for aggressive faster metal and lots of harmonics. I´ve never tried an aluminum one so I have no opinion on them.

The big one that everyone wants to hear - how is it compared to a Floyd:

Total preference. The Kahler is a lot smoother making it great for nice vibratos and small dips before notes, but to get really big dives you have to move the bar a lot more. A Floyd Rose is stiffer but the response is immediate. An OFR stays in tune better by a small margin. I personally find the Kahler easier to tune - but just like a Floyd Rose it rarely ever gets to the point where you have to unlock the nut to tune it.

If you like doing massive repetitive bends at about the 10-14 fret on the G string then the G string falls a bit out of tune - but then it is fixed when you tap the bar. I´ve never had a problem with this - but some people will sit there and intentionally knock it out of tune specifically in that way just to prove that it happens, and it does, but only under really specific circumstances. It also doesn´t happen to the ridiculous degree that one video would leave you to believe...

The Kahler does not lower the strings during pull ups like a Floyd does. This means you can get a slightly nicer action without having fret outs on pull ups. It also does not dive as low as a Floyd if you´re into the super super over the top dives. The Kahler can still perform every practical dive that I´ve ever seen and used though.

You can flutter really well on an OFR - you can flutter on a Kahler but it doesn´t sound nearly as awesome.

The issue of not losing wood through the guitar like a Floyd I think isn´t so important. I don´t feel like a Kahler has any more tone or sustain than a Floyd as a result of the way it is mounted.

When you change strings on a Kahler taking all the strings off isn´t at all a hassle which allows you to clean the fingerboard and frets.

All in all it´s more a preference for the feel of the bridge, and if you like the feel of one better than buy that bridge. The differences in set up and maintainance are different, but neither is way way harder than another. The difference in tuning stability is negligible.
Last edited by Vlasco at Nov 10, 2009,
wow thats pretty much everything I asked and more thanks mate
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Vlasco said it.

The guy in that video is using a Kahler X-Trem, which is a POS - equivalent to no-name LFR's like the ones that are on low end Jacksons.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.