I can only play natural harmonics, and the lessons on Artificial, Pinch, Tap, Semi-, etc. harmonics are confusing me. Can someone explain the proper technique to playing them?

Thanks,
-Liam
Pinched harmonics are created by catching a small section of your thumb on the string as you pick. They're quite hard to explain, I would have thhe thought the videos - despite being confusing - would be your best option.

Tapped hardmonics are a little easier to explain since you can already do natural harmonics. So, on an open string you can create natural harmonics at frets 3 4 5 7 12 etc...with tapped harmonics you are already fretting a note. So for this example lets say you have fretted 3rd fret on a string. The position of the natural harmonics will have also moved up with it. So the natural harmonics will now occur at frets 6 7 8 10 15 yeah? However you fretting hand is already occupied so you just give a short sharp tap at these positions with your picking hand. Rember to release the tap immediately or else it will just sound like a regular tapped note. It can be done on open strings too I should add.

Semi harmonics I believe are...just pinched harmonics which didn't quite come out 'right'. Somewhere between a regular note and a harmonic.

Artificial harmonics are a kind of a mix of everything. http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/images/5/51/Artificialharmonic.jpg
If you look at this photo what you're seeing is the index finger resting on the string at the point of the harmonic and the thumb - you can use a pick - is picking the note. So It's a little like a regular harmonic but all on one hand. However you can still use your fretting hand to fret notes which would move the harmonic positions with it.
Quote by whitemanwalking
Pinched harmonics are created by catching a small section of your thumb on the string as you pick. They're quite hard to explain, I would have thhe thought the videos - despite being confusing - would be your best option.

So you basically pinch the string...very, very lightly?
Quote by whitemanwalking
Tapped hardmonics are a little easier to explain since you can already do natural harmonics. So, on an open string you can create natural harmonics at frets 3 4 5 7 12 etc...with tapped harmonics you are already fretting a note. So for this example lets say you have fretted 3rd fret on a string. The position of the natural harmonics will have also moved up with it. So the natural harmonics will now occur at frets 6 7 8 10 15 yeah? However you fretting hand is already occupied so you just give a short sharp tap at these positions with your picking hand. Rember to release the tap immediately or else it will just sound like a regular tapped note. It can be done on open strings too I should add.

I know how artifical harmonics work not how to play them; are tap harmonics basically the same except tapped instead of picked?
Quote by whitemanwalking
Semi harmonics I believe are...just pinched harmonics which didn't quite come out 'right'. Somewhere between a regular note and a harmonic.

I'll look a bit further into that.
Quote by whitemanwalking
Artificial harmonics are a kind of a mix of everything. http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/images/5/51/Artificialharmonic.jpg
If you look at this photo what you're seeing is the index finger resting on the string at the point of the harmonic and the thumb - you can use a pick - is picking the note. So It's a little like a regular harmonic but all on one hand. However you can still use your fretting hand to fret notes which would move the harmonic positions with it.

So it's like using your fretting hand as a capo and your picking hand for the harmonic?
Quote by slash.r0cks
So you basically pinch the string...very, very lightly?

No, with a pinch harmonic, you fret normally and pick normally, but immediately following the pick, your thumb brushes the string. It takes a little practice to do it consistently. You should get a high screaching harmonic. You will get a different tone based on where you pick (closer to bridge or neck).

Distortion makes this technique really stand out, used in lots of metal riffs. Bending while using this kind of harmonic works quite well also.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
No, with a pinch harmonic, you fret normally and pick normally, but immediately following the pick, your thumb brushes the string. It takes a little practice to do it consistently. You should get a high screaching harmonic. You will get a different tone based on where you pick (closer to bridge or neck).

Distortion makes this technique really stand out, used in lots of metal riffs. Bending while using this kind of harmonic works quite well also.

How it it played? Naturally or artificially?
Quote by slash.r0cks
I can only play natural harmonics, and the lessons on Artificial, Pinch, Tap, Semi-, etc. harmonics are confusing me. Can someone explain the proper technique to playing them?

Thanks,
-Liam

Check the harmonics vids in the main sticky/my youtube.
Another trick that helped me with pinch harmonics is to strike the strings with about 1/4 of an inch of the pick tip and side of the pick then letting your thumb touch the string. Don't forget the vibrato on the fretting hand. Turn you guitar volume and gain to 11!! Hope that helps.