I just had my first singing lesson a day ago is was quite expensive 60 an hour and all we did the whole lesson was go through several breathing techniques the first was controlled breathing in, while your mouth is in a whistle shape then make a Tssss type of noise like the one a tire makes when it deflates is how he explained it. The third is the same thing but with your hand in front of your mouth and you supposed to keep the breathe constant.

Now I'm fine with learning breathing exercises before we start to pitch but If I go to the next lesson I get locked in term which is 10 weeks. So I just want to make sure that this is all normal and I've only had 1 lesson with the guy so I am not sure if I want commit yet,

So my question is...........Is this all normal? Is this how you are mean't to start learning how to sing and also how can I tell If its worth staying with my teacher?
Last edited by stedyedy at Nov 10, 2009,
Different teachers have different styles, it is prudent to find the one which is right for you.

My current singing teacher allows you to learn songs that you want to sing, and uses them as case-studies to develop techniques. It's good because you learn songs at the same time as techniques. Needless to say, our first lesson didn't entirely consist of breathing exercises, it was more focussing on creating a good sound and having a shot at a song. I think it may be better to shop around teachers a little before committing.

What do you do on your first lesson Axeman?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Breathing is one of the most important things in singing, and even if you spent 10 lessons on just breathing alone, with a good quality teacher, that would be money well spent.

Pretty hard to judge your teacher from one lesson, I'd say give it a few lessons and see how it goes. That is really expensive though, so I guess it's up to you to find out about your teacher, see what they can do for you, make sure you know what you're in for, compare teachers in your area, etc.

But yeah, vocal training usually involves a lot of breathing, posture, etc. Pitch comes into play, but it's always connected to the technique.

Good luck
Hmmmm.........I guess I will go to the next lesson and see how it goes.

Also anyone know a good teacher in Sydney?
Quote by stedyedy
Also anyone know a good teacher in Sydney?

I can ask my singing teacher if she knows anyone in Sydney. I'm in Canberra.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I can ask my singing teacher if she knows anyone in Sydney. I'm in Canberra.

Yeah cheers, I only asked cause I saw Canberra and thought their may be some other people from Aus around.
Different techniques need to be taught differently, too. Vocal lessons can be expensive, so depending on where you are, $60 might be about right.

The Bel Canto technique is all about learning how it *feels* to sing properly. Once you know how it feels to do this, then you need to develop the *habit* of doing so. All told, this means a LOT of repetition.

My first lesson (and this is how I teach now, because I've only ever had one singing teacher) was a talk lesson. I talk about, in general terms, how the technique works, what is involved, what to expect, and a breathing exercise. Part of my goal is to weed out those who aren't fit for it.

The second lesson is finding the person's range via an exercise or two - usually an exercise in thirds to get started. We begin stage one of the technique - the lift of the throat.

I typically don't start a song until the student has the lift of the throat part of the technique pretty much well on the way. When the key to learning is to develop the HABIT of singing with good technique through repetition, songs are really secondary to the exercises. They are motivating, and they are a chance to try the technique out in 'real world' application.

For me, ten years into my lessons, the first twenty minutes of singing - at least the first 15 anyways - were the same exercises I was doing in the first month or two of study. Repetition, repetition, repetition. The difference was, my range developed and I was adding to my technique and, through (you guessed it) more repetition, learned how to add elements of the technique on via the existing exercises.

The good news is, the only way I know how to sing is to do so properly. It is habitual, so I don't need to think about it. It just.... happens.

Interestingly, pitch was my biggest weakness. I never learned pitch, specifically. By learning the technique, you develop pitch through the repetition of the exercises, and through the second stage of the technique where you learn where to focus the voice. Most difficulty with pitch comes from a poor ear (addressed in repetition of exercises in thirds and fifths) and poor technique - particularly breath support. (addressed in all stages of the technique, to an extent.)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.