Hey guys, i bought a pre owned Epiphone Goth explorer with a floyd ( liscenced) about a year ago, maybe a year and a half, it sported epiphone hot pickups ( only discription i could find) ,
and as i got better (HA) i wanted to refine my sound more, so i ended up getting a Bare knuckle Miracle man, although the pickup was good, i still sounded muddy, so a few days ago i invested in some emgs and fitted them, now, looking to the future im looking at upgrading my liscenced to a Original floyd rose, now there are a few choices of top nut, and im not sure whihc one would be applicable, how do i find this out, also, although i dont use the FR much, i was more looking into tuning stability,
i allready have grovers on there, for some reason they came stock. and seemings my nut locks, thats kind of irrelevant, so would a fr be a good investment to improve the guitar further?

Tl;DR, floyd rose good investment over my liscenced.

also are there any other things i can do to improve the guitar, i realy cant think of any.
An Original will hold tune longer and better than the licensed, yes.
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Nov 10, 2009,
As far as the tuners go ... better equipment is always better, even if it's not immediately noticable. Which it will not be. If you dive bomb like crazy, upgrading to locking tuners will help ever so slightly. If you don't, then the regular tuners are probably going to work just as well.

Unless you use the trem like, consantly, then I'd probably stick with the stock tuners. I seem to recall those particular Grovers being pretty okay.
what id do is get ride of the lock nut and go with locking tuners, ive have 3 guitar with LFR's and OFR's and lock nuts are as pain, hard to tune with etc, if u have a good nut (stock) on ur neck that lets the string slide in BUT dosnt grip and catch them (wich would put it outa tune) youll be fine, biggest plus and main reason is for tuning, make it sooo much easier.

OFR def a good hoice IF its the kind of trem u like and u have a feel for, OFR kicks the crap outa LFR, as for the grover loking uners, keep em mate, there tops (as i was saying about the lock nut), i think before u start making a list to improve ur guitar try and improve whats already on it, for example:

setting up the LFR right (a good set up LFR is a good trem, but a bad set up one is a bad trem)
Pickups height (how far u have the pup from ur strings, varies tone alot)
neck-trus rod, getting the right trus adjustment in acordence with YOUR style of playing (google search for info, very in depth)
neck-with trem, making sure when u use the trem it isnt destroying ur neck and making sure the neck is set up for a trem (should be from factory, but serious half time there not)

set ur guitar up perfect first get everything going really well then if ur still not happy then modify accordingly.

good luck, hope this was help
The upgrade is worth doing if you really like your neck. Sometimes replacing a LFR with an OFR requires changing the post inserts, although sometimes you can use the old posts. I think the threads on the OFR posts are different. Not sure what LFR you have,
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 10, 2009,
hey guys, Thanks for the Great info. i think unless i ahve an excess of money ill stick with the stock grovers for now, whats a good pickup height then? is closer better with my EMGs? also, i ahve set up the Liscenced well, and it does hold tuning well enough.
it is flush, at a good height, and my intonation is in. im very happy with my neck and have adjusted the truss before.
how do i know if the Neck is set up for a Trem?
also The liscense is epiphones own.
Quote by N@Dog
what id do is get ride of the lock nut and go with locking tuners, ive have 3 guitar with LFR's and OFR's and lock nuts are as pain, hard to tune with etc, if u have a good nut (stock) on ur neck that lets the string slide in BUT dosnt grip and catch them (wich would put it outa tune) youll be fine, biggest plus and main reason is for tuning, make it sooo much easier.

Have you seen videos of what that does to the point between the headstock and neck?

There's a good reason why Gibson was slated for releasing a floating trem guitar WITHOUT a locking nut, and consequently changed the design to include one.