I really enjoy funk music and am trying to get into jazz but I do not know where to go for a more modern twist on these genres. I also would like some tips on composing for these 2 genres so any information on chords, beat accentuation, bass lines, leads, etc. would be wonderful .
Note: I don't want something as far out or spacey as The Mars Volta I know they use these two genres in their music but I dont want that type of modern sound to it. A more conventional yet modern sound would suffice. .
Last edited by mtgold83 at Nov 10, 2009,
soul coughing.

broke up in the 90's but i still call it modern jazz. with such great songs as, "sugar free jazz" and "super bon bon"
You probably already listen to them, but RHCP, like them or not, use funk influences in many of their songs.
Quote by :Vicious--
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
"Don't touch my buttsecks"
Ehh rhcp... Listen to sly and the family stone.. Or parliment funkadelic. As for modern jazz listen to Christian Scott or hadrien feraud or some hiromi uehara
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
Last edited by BBell at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by guitar999111
You probably already listen to them, but RHCP, like them or not, use funk influences in many of their songs.

Sorry, but RHCP is not funk. Its hard rock with some slapped basslines.

TS, I recommend Jaco Pastorius
^ you could definitely get some ideas on playing "funk" from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. What was said is that they have funk influences...... and it's true.

Quote by mtgold83
I really enjoy funk music and am trying to get into jazz but I do not know where to go for a more modern twist on these genres. I also would like some tips on composing for these 2 genres so any information on chords, beat accentuation, bass lines, leads, etc. would be wonderful .
Note: I don't want something as far out or spacey as The Mars Volta I know they use these two genres in their music but I dont want that type of modern sound to it. A more conventional yet modern sound would suffice. .

It took a few seconds to get this page by typing in "modern funk" in google.

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/funk1/modern.html
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 10, 2009,
Some of Joe Satriani's music could give a new look at jazz. Also, Blues Saraceno is really good.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
the funky side of fusion
tribal tech, mezzo forte, chick corea elektrik band etc.
as for modern jazz have a look at ratko zjaca, duoduo or chicks older work
No guitar - but it's worth listening to some Tower of Power stuff...transcribing some of their stuff would be a brilliant exercise.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Not necessarily "modern" but your standards, but if you want music that heavily influenced the direction of both funk and jazz, I highly recommend picking up some Herbie Hancock. Try out his album Head Hunters especially.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Um, I don't know much about both genres myself, but I was listening to the jazz radio on last.fm and found Jaga Jazzist. Some really nice stuff right there.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Not necessarily "modern" but your standards, but if you want music that heavily influenced the direction of both funk and jazz, I highly recommend picking up some Herbie Hancock. Try out his album Head Hunters especially.

+100 Getting into himat the moment, awesome, also the album secrets, the track "doin it" bing one of my favourites at the moment.
Check out some Greg Howe, its jazz/fusion rock instrumental playing and it has a pretty funky vibe. whatever the case, its amazing, the album Introspection changed my life
Quote by grampastumpy
Brad Mehldau and Kurt Rosenwinkel are always good modern jazz guys.

Brad Mehldau is a brilliant pianist, but I don't think he has the 'modern twist' TS is looking for.
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones is also a good one. Some REAL ridiculous bass work.
Quote by tubatom868686
Sorry, but RHCP is not funk. Its hard rock with some slapped basslines.

TS, I recommend Jaco Pastorius

As many people have said, RHCP do have a lot of funk influences. And if you're going with Modern jazz/funk with Pastorius you need to do some updating.

On Topic, Yeah some (just some) Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Try some Jamiroquai in terms of modern funk, poppy but very modern and funky, in the same way some Dave Matthews Band stuff is quite Jazzy but very poppy.

If you wanna go well out there check out some Squarepusher, drum an bass mixed with slap bass and jazz.
The best album to get into jazz: Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

and +1 to Bela Fleck. You'll jizz your pants when you listen to some of that stuff.
Quote by mdwallin
Brad Mehldau is a brilliant pianist, but I don't think he has the 'modern twist' TS is looking for.
I figured the novelty of him doing Oasis would be enough for TS, lol.
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band is pretty modern jazz.
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.