I have an ESP EC-401 with Sperzle locking tuners, and I want to replace my EMG pickups with some Passive Duncans, Do I need to replace the pots etc??
I believe I read somewhere if you use the EMG PA2 boost you can leave
the guitar jack as it was with EMG's.

I was looking at SH-2 in the (N) and either SH-6 Distortion or SH-8 Invader in the (B) Do you think a PA2 boost would work with any of the above? the website claims it can work with passives, I believe it just adds +20db of gain, probally no different than a MXR 10 Band EQ with gain plugged in right after the guitar ??
Yeah I think you can leave the input jack if the PA2 requires it but you'll need to change your pots and also you need to solder a wire from the ground to the back of your volume pot to act as a ground.
Quote by xDarrellx87x
Do I need to replace the pots etc??

Fairly sure you'll have to change the pots, yeah, usually 500k for humbuckers. I think most active pickups usually use much higher value pots so if you don't switch them out you'll get really ear-piercing treble.
It appears only "DiMarzio" is the only pot company on Guitarcenter or Musicians friends web pages. I assume the "DiMarzio 500K Custom Taper Split Shaft Pot "
is the model I would need.

I believe I read somewhere that the guitar jack used on EMG guitars is an audio jack and not the same as used on traditional guitars?
EMG uses a stereo jack.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
I recommend the SD JB in the bridge and the SD 59' for the neck position. It rocks...
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Quote by xDarrellx87x
It appears only "DiMarzio" is the only pot company on Guitarcenter or Musicians friends web pages. I assume the "DiMarzio 500K Custom Taper Split Shaft Pot "
is the model I would need.

I believe I read somewhere that the guitar jack used on EMG guitars is an audio jack and not the same as used on traditional guitars?

Actually, active pickups run on a MUCH lower OHM range than other pickups. A traditional single coil would run on 250k, a traditional humbucker would run on 500k or 1meg, and active pickups, single coils or humbuckers, run on 25k.

And EMGs actually use a stereo jack, not an audio jack. Most guitars are stock with a mono jack though.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Actually, active pickups run on a MUCH lower OHM range than other pickups. A traditional single coil would run on 250k, a traditional humbucker would run on 500k or 1meg, and active pickups, single coils or humbuckers, run on 25k.

Ah right. I knew it was either much higher or lower, I was thinking to myself 'surely it'd be a lower value if they had loads of output already' but something was insisting they used higher values, oops.
Quote by NHECOS
I recommend the SD JB in the bridge and the SD 59' for the neck position. It rocks...

meh, the JB isn't hot enough for my taste, my previous guitar had SH-6 in it
and found it to be real hot and punchy for A-Standard through E-standard
The invader appears to have 3 ceramic magnets while SH-6 is just one
you blow on the SH6 and it and makes noise. Lamb of God supposedly use
SH-8 invaders now, according to Seymour Duncan.

So over all, I need new jack, and pots?
Guess im kinda slow but i guess I need
someone to tell me exactly what to do lol

The SH-2 is supposedly a higher output 59 for the Neck

I'm using an ENGL Fireball head
Last edited by xDarrellx87x at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by xDarrellx87x
So, I suppose I need a mono jack and 500K pots?

No the PA2 requires you to use a stereo input jack which it comes in the package. Otherwise aside from that hook up the pickups according to the diagrams.
i wouldnt recommend the invader. its pretty notoriously a bad sounding pickup. if you want heavy and good for low tunings and high output, go with the Alternative 8.
SH-15.? i believe.
I think im just going to change to 500K pots and mono 1/4 Jack
with SH-6 in the Bridge and either SH-2 or SH-6 in the neck
I know on my old guitar that the SH-6 is very crunchy and
with right amp I prefer it over EMG or Blackouts

SH-2 is a higher output 59

My ENGL is pretty brutaL

I'm also tempted to trade my EC-401 for a MH-401 NT