All right, I want to mod my boss ds-1, and while i'm at it, i'm going to learn how it all works, so i can add a LED later on on my wah and on my mxr phase 90 script.
now the thing is, i don't know about the capacitors i have to buy, i can find a lot of capacitors at 1uf but they have different voltage levels, which one am i supposed to take? seems to range from 10v to thousands of volts..

EDIT: stupid question, is there a way to drill a hole in a pedal without a drill ? i'd like not to ask for my dad's assistance, because he won't let me borrow his drill and he'll absolutely HAVE to do it himself if i ask him, and then i'll have to explain why i wanna do it and blablabla
kind of sad for a 19 years old
Last edited by Darkflame at Nov 10, 2009,
Here is a tutorial on the Instructables website. I'm sure you could find other how-to guides if you search on Goggle.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-convert-your-DS-1-to-Keeley-All-seeing-eye-/

(by the way: I thought you were the official hater of Boss pedals!)

There are also several mod kits available on ebay, if you feel like taking a chance on it.
Last edited by goldberg1138 at Nov 10, 2009,
i am, which is why i want to mod the hell out of it :-) it was my first pedal, bought it around 4 years ago
i'm also going to try to find a way to mod the bypass, because that's the worse part of it.
i already am on that tutorial... the thing is it lists the components as following

# 0.1uF Capacitor x 5
# 1uF Capacitor x 4 (or two 0.47uF caps in parallel, it should give the same results)
# 0.047uF Capacitor x 1
# 3mm LED x 1 (I bought two so I didn't have to use the one that you take out of the DS-1)
# on/on SPDT switch
# 2.4k Resistor x 1
# 20k Resistor x 1
# 1.5k Resistor x 1
# 220pf Cap x 1
# 47pf Cap x 1

the thing is, if i wanna buy 1uf capacitors, i have the choice between 100v military, 200v military, 50v 5x11mm...

which one am i supposed to go for ?

edit: all right i got it, the volt rating is the maximum one the thing can take, i'll try to find some 12v ones, i'm off to shopping =) first pedal modding, hope it will be funnn
you might even wanna go 16v. although 12v should do. ideally, you wanna get at least 1.5 times the voltage you're dealing with. which would be 13.5v if you're talking a 9v pedal. i would at least go 16 or 18 volts.

i found smallbearelec.com much easier to start with than say mouser or digikey. pedal parts plus might also have what you need, and effects connection.

get the thinnest solder you can, i find it much easier to do pedals with.
Just make sure the caps you buy will fit in there. A lot of the 1uf caps you find are HUGE. I try to use 16v or higher but sometimes higher voltage ratings mean a physically larger cap.
Quote by Griffin Effects
Just make sure the caps you buy will fit in there. A lot of the 1uf caps you find are HUGE. I try to use 16v or higher but sometimes higher voltage ratings mean a physically larger cap.

i found ones are the same size of small ceramic caps. that was through sbe. don't remember the stock # though.

they were orange. but the orange drop caps are MASSIVE.
i just got back from an electronic store, bought some stuff that should work i guess... just want to make sure though
what do i need to doublecheck? i mean, my capacitors are 100v so they're going to be all right, and they're ceramic and radial. they aren't that big though.
also, i got 5mm LEDs, i told the guy i needed 3mm and he gave me those, it won't change much will it? the instructable guide said to change the R35 to a 2k4 resistor, does that mean a 2.4 k ? if so i'm all good

edit: damn i don't have wire to wire the switch -_-''