...to the good people of UG. I recently entered myself into a contest with a major Canadian newspaper. If win, i get flown out to cover the Winter Olympics as a guest journalist. Now, this would be basically a dream come true for me, and would probably set me up with an awesome job after i graduate.

So....usually i dont do this and i hate promoting stuff like this, but i reallllllllly want to win.

http://journalismdream.theglobeandmail.com/entry_article.asp?id=862

plz vote for my entry, and pass this along...i need as many votes as humanly possible and it would be an honest to god dream come true for me.

ty

ps, if you vote, i will personally fellate you all
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Ace88 at Nov 10, 2009,
link doesnt work?
ALL OF MY CRAP SONGS/IDEAS

Quote by God
LOLjk guise, im not real.

Quote by JDbbx
I don't want to go into detail but it involves my girlfriend, a condom and 10 seconds.

If anyone sigs that I shall be most irritated
link fixed
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Look, the competition is about journalism not about who has the most online friends.

If someone wrote some crap then set up their computer to bypass the ip adress block and vote for them over and over and over again, then you would think that's wrong, wouldn't you?? This is exactly the same thing.

If you've written the best thing, you should win but I'm not going to (and I'd dissuade anyone else) fuk over everyone else in this journalism competition.
Quote by 12345abcd3
Look, the competition is about journalism not about who has the most online friends.

If someone wrote some crap then set up their computer to bypass the ip adress block and vote for them over and over and over again, then you would think that's wrong, wouldn't you?? This is exactly the same thing.

If you've written the best thing, you should win but I'm not going to (and I'd dissuade anyone else) fuk over everyone else in this journalism competition.

Normally i would agree with you, except you're completely wrong. I need to be in the top 50 for voting to pass the preliminary stage and make it to the finals voting, which is done by a panel of editors at the Globe and Mail. It sucks, and i hate begging people i don't know for votes, but it's really the only way i can catch up to the top 50.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Ace88
Normally i would agree with you, except you're completely wrong. I need to be in the top 50 for voting to pass the preliminary stage and make it to the finals voting, which is done by a panel of editors at the Globe and Mail. It sucks, and i hate begging people i don't know for votes, but it's really the only way i can catch up to the top 50.

How am I wrong exactly? Having a piece of writing up implies that people should base their decision on the writing quality.

And what does the top 50 have to do with anything? In the top 50 they want the top 50 writers, not the top 50 internet nerds. By voting for you we could be denying someone much more worthy than you.
Quote by 12345abcd3
How am I wrong exactly? Having a piece of writing up implies that people should base their decision on the writing quality.

And what does the top 50 have to do with anything? In the top 50 they want the top 50 writers, not the top 50 internet nerds. By voting for you we could be denying someone much more worthy than you.

...seriously man? I just explained to you, to get into the finals where your work is voted on based on academic and journalistic merit, you have to be in the top 50 most popular pieces. I dont know what your problem is, nobody's forcing you to vote, if you don't want to then don't. It's as simple as that. In the mean time, kindly leave if you've got nothing to add?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by 12345abcd3

lol u mad cuz u cant journalism
Quote by 12345abcd3

+1

charities, political events and pointless competitions we will rigg but not somthing that could screw over a dedicated and talented person cause your on ug.
Last edited by jason shawcross at Nov 10, 2009,
in addition to all the non-voting arguments, i'd like to add that i'm not gonna take the time to sign up on that website to vote for you.

sawwy
Quote by Ace88
...seriously man? I just explained to you, to get into the finals where your work is voted on based on academic and journalistic merit, you have to be in the top 50 most popular pieces. I dont know what your problem is, nobody's forcing you to vote, if you don't want to then don't. It's as simple as that. In the mean time, kindly leave if you've got nothing to add?

The top 50 are the top 50 journalists/writers not any random 50 people who can convince people to vote for them.

If you can't get into the top 50 on your journalistic talent then you shouldn't be in the top 50. And if you can't get into the top 50 based on your writing skill then there's really no point as you'd just be turned down anyway and you would be taking someone's hard earned place.
God you've to register. ARGH
"Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining" - Wrex
Quote by 12345abcd3
The top 50 are the top 50 journalists/writers not any random 50 people who can convince people to vote for them.

If you can't get into the top 50 on your journalistic talent then you shouldn't be in the top 50. And if you can't get into the top 50 based on your writing skill then there's really no point as you'd just be turned down anyway and you would be taking someone's hard earned place.

Look man. I already explained this to you twice--the competition opened on october 5th. People have had a full month to get votes, i have not, so i have to do all this networking to catch up with the "most popular". The top 50 actually IS the random 50 that can convince people to vote. This is how the competition works. I really don't know why you have so much trouble with understanding these simple concepts. You probably didn't even read my entry, either. Kindly LEAVE THE THREAD if you're not going to vote and you have nothing to add, i really don't want to bring moderators into this.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Okay I don't think the Pit has any reason to argue about any kind of merit, decency, integrity, or anything of that sort. The pit contradicts itself all the time, about everything. With that said, I'm going to vote for you, because you asked for help. I read the article, and I don't think it's too bad, any how. However, I wish you luck in winning, as you're something like 2,497 votes behind first place.
I made up a canadian address and voted for you!!!

hopefully this isn't some canadian federal crime...
>.>

<.<
Quote by Ace88
Look man. I already explained this to you twice--the competition opened on october 5th. People have had a full month to get votes, i have not, so i have to do all this networking to catch up with the "most popular". The top 50 actually IS the random 50 that can convince people to vote. This is how the competition works. I really don't know why you have so much trouble with understanding these simple concepts. You probably didn't even read my entry, either. Kindly LEAVE THE THREAD if you're not going to vote and you have nothing to add, i really don't want to bring moderators into this.

God forbid you could have a reasoned rational debate about something.

So let's get this straight:
-the competition runners put the pieces of writing up for fun, to fill the space. They don't actually want people to take any notice of it when voting (I don't know why I thought anything otherwise...)

-you entered late so you deserve the same amount of votes as people who do things on time.

-the fact that you entered late has nothing to do with how commited you are, you still really realllllllllly want this

-because you really really want to win you deserve to and that "reallllllly"'s are so much more than anyone else in the competition could want it

Makes perfect sense...
Quote by 12345abcd3
God forbid you could have a reasoned rational debate about something.

So let's get this straight:
-the competition runners put the pieces of writing up for fun, to fill the space. They don't actually want people to take any notice of it when voting (I don't know why I thought anything otherwise...)

-you entered late so you deserve the same amount of votes as people who do things on time.

-the fact that you entered late has nothing to do with how commited you are, you still really realllllllllly want this

-because you really really want to win you deserve to and that "reallllllly"'s are so much more than anyone else in the competition could want it

Makes perfect sense...

Would you shut the fuck up already? You're acting a fool and no one cares how big your penis is.
Quote by Daffodil Lament
Would you shut the fuck up already? You're acting a fool and no one cares how big your penis is.

I'm a fool for making sensible points? Try and imagine what it would feel like to be the guy who doesn't get in cos TS has used UG to take his place.
Not great, pretty cheesy, won't bother voting.

Quote by 12345abcd3
I'm a fool for making sensible points? Try and imagine what it would feel like to be the guy who doesn't get in cos TS has used UG to take his place.

No you're a dumbass for thinking that people read through every article, critically analyse it and then compare it to the other 200 odd. The top 50 votes will get judged, and it's up to the authors to promote their piece so they CAN be critically analysed. Now shut the fuck up and grow some logic.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Last edited by Insanity^2 at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by 12345abcd3

I bet you're not a huge fan of Affirmative Action, are you? I'll bet you anything that probably everyone on there is pleading for votes in one way or another. Just grow up, man. This is life, not everything is fair. You'll understand that when you start going through puberty.
Quote by Insanity^2

No you're a dumbass for thinking that people read through every article, critically analyse it and then compare it to the other 200 odd. The top 50 votes will get judged, and it's up to the authors to promote their piece so they CAN be critically analysed. Now shut the fuck up and grow some logic.

This makes the most sense.
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Quote by Insanity^2

But don't you see how you've just proved my point?

You should vote for TS if you think the writing is good and better than everyone else's, which is what you did (you read it, judged it, then didn't vote).

Quote by Daffodil Lament
I bet you're not a huge fan of Affirmative Action, are you? I'll bet you anything that probably everyone on there is pleading for votes in one way or another. Just grow up, man. This is life, not everything is fair. You'll understand that when you start going through puberty.

You can't use the "life isn't fair" rule to justifying doing something that's wrong. Do you think murderer's should get off punishment and the victim's family be told "life isn't fair"?
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Nov 10, 2009,
Quote by 12345abcd3
But don't you see how you've just proved my point?

You should vote for TS if you think the writing is good and better than everyone else's, which is what you did (you read it, judged it, then didn't vote).

You can't use the "life isn't fair" rule to justifying doing something that's wrong. Do you think murderer's should get off punishment and the victim's family be told "life isn't fair"?

You've got to be joking me, you're still going on about this? Does it infuriate you that much? Being convicted of murder and cheating to get more votes online are two different things, you can't compare the two.

Anyway, I've had it with your senselessness *reported*
Quote by Alex Vik
What exactly did you even report him for?

Well, the report button is used for harassment, problematic posts and rude posts, are they not? I saw this thread go into a completely different direction, and there is no need for it any more. Obviously no one is going to help him, but instead bicker and fight about why he is or isn't wrong for doing it.

And to the dude about questioning me about affirmative action: Yes, they are two different things, but not completely different things. Some guy is asking for random votes to help him win a contest. Affirmative action is points counting towards the minorities to help them get into college. I see how the two are related, can you?
Quote by Daffodil Lament
Well, the report button is used for harassment, problematic posts and rude posts, are they not? I saw this thread go into a completely different direction, and there is no need for it any more. Obviously no one is going to help him, but instead bicker and fight about why he is or isn't wrong for doing it.

And to the dude about questioning me about affirmative action: Yes, they are two different things, but not completely different things. Some guy is asking for random votes to help him win a contest. Affirmative action is points counting towards the minorities to help them get into college. I see how the two are related, can you?

sure, but one could also make the connection that murder and cheating are both immoral(although in different levels). Poster picked an extreme that undermined his arguement, but his previous posts outlined several good points. It would be devastating to be the more talented, more deserving writer who didnt make UG his personal army and thus lost the competition in the preliminaries.

also, thank you for continuing the mindset that you reported.
Quote by paul banks
sure, but one could also make the connection that murder and cheating are both immoral(although in different levels). Poster picked an extreme that undermined his arguement, but his previous posts outlined several good points. It would be devastating to be the more talented, more deserving writer who didnt make UG his personal army and thus lost the competition in the preliminaries.

also, thank you for continuing the mindset that you reported.

Don't try and make me out to be a bad person here. You were feeding into it just as much as I was, so we're both in the wrong, okay? I don't appreciate your cute remark.

I do agree with you that both murder and cheating are immoral, that goes without saying. However there is still a very big difference in the morality of murder, and the morality of cheating to win an online contest. I can see and understand your points.
I was gonna vote, but it had a registration..
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Guys...come on. Either vote or don't, the spam and off topic posting are so unnecessary. This isn't the time or place for "rational debate" (get real dude).
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Ace88
Guys...come on. Either vote or don't, the spam and off topic posting are so unnecessary. This isn't the time or place for "rational debate" (get real dude).

That's the thanks I get for being the only person in this thread who stuck up for you?

Not that I was really expecting anything more, I guess. How do I "get real"?