I have a Takamine EG481 and I had the neck adjusted but now I need to shave the bridge. Here is the problem my pickup is under the bridge and I was told that removing it can't be done without messing it up.So is there another way to lower the string height or is it just like they said it is what it is? Or does anyone know how to remove this pickup and bridge?
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight
I'm not familiar with Taks, but if its like most A/E guitars, you should be able to remove the saddle/bridge insert (it rests on the pickup) and shave it down, not touching the pickup. If you loosen or remove the strings, it should come right out. Just be sure to note which end goes to the High E or Low E.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
The way I understand it is the two are connected together in some way.
IF you do shave your bridge, let me know how it comes out and if you have done it before on an acoustic. Been thinking about doing it myself on my Yamaha. Would be a first time thing for me.

Edit:http://fretmd.com/tutorials/acoustic-guitar/

Let me know how it comes out.
Last edited by AustinTyler at Nov 10, 2009,
IT would be a first time for me to. I was hoping so one could tell me how to get it out so I could sand down the bottem.
The pickup is not under the bridge, it is under the saddle, which is that removable white piece stuck into the bridge. The saddle can certainly be removed, sanded accordingly, and replaced without damaging the piezo-pickup wire. They shouldn't be bonded, assuming Takamine does it the same way as most other manufacturers. Next time you have your strings off, just see if it can slip out. You wont damage anything.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Nov 10, 2009,
Cool! Can you pm me how? Does it just slide out because the guy at the guitar shop said the last one he did was a buddies and it jacked the pickup all up. Thanks for the help
Quote by Dwhitt1981
Cool! Can you pm me how? Does it just slide out because the guy at the guitar shop said the last one he did was a buddies and it jacked the pickup all up. Thanks for the help

It's not a particualrly involved process. The saddle generally just sits in that slot with no glue or anything, so it should slide right out if the strings are off. If there is adhesive for some strange reason, there might be more work involved. Just give it a light tug and see if it slides out. If it was attached correctly, the pickup wire should remain attached to the bottom of the slot.

Edit: The piezo strip under the saddle should look something like the flat part in the image below. This is what the saddle rests on.

Last edited by GC Shred Off at Nov 10, 2009,
Cool I'll Give it a try when I re string. It almost makes me want to now to see if it will.